• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

about that internet-viral giant chicken

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
YOWZERS! :omg: Beautiful looking bird though.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Whaha I didn’t know they were not so common! My grandparents have a flock of chickens, Most are cross breeds but they used to have Some brahma’s too! They really are very big:rofl:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
They are like ostriches with short legs.
Quite amazing!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Whaha I didn’t know they were not so common! My grandparents have a flock of chickens, Most are cross breeds but they used to have Some brahma’s too! They really are very big:rofl:
from the article:
"But because they take more effort to raise, the brahma is rare and considered an endangered livestock by the conservancy. Data collected by the conservancy during a 2015 national census indicates there were 7,505 brahmas across the US."
You should take up the banner and raise you some brahmas!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He is quite handsome. The hen is beautiful as well. But I don't think I could manage any more pets right now. Not to mention I live in town and a rooster might be a problem.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He is quite handsome. The hen is beautiful as well. But I don't think I could manage any more pets right now. Not to mention I live in town and a rooster might be a problem.
@zoo mom He could be considered an eco-friendly alarm clock - no batteries or electricity.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
from the article:
"But because they take more effort to raise, the brahma is rare and considered an endangered livestock by the conservancy. Data collected by the conservancy during a 2015 national census indicates there were 7,505 brahmas across the US."
You should take up the banner and raise you some brahmas!!
What!:faint:I really didn’t know that, they are not all that uncommon in the Netherlands! Maybe the chickens that live here are not pure or something? I looked on a sort of craigslist to see if Maybe I was wrong and they are rare here after all too, but I found a couple of males for €15, here they are:
657DD62B-003D-4986-A48C-739EC706FF26.png
Either way, I really like those chickens:D I love their colors too:xflove:

Susannah

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Wow, they are impressive chickens...could be used as a watchdog - imagine one of those lurking out from the bushes lol ...I'm more of a Silkie bantam type...my grandparents had large White Leghorns and I was scared to death of them...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
@jmfleish I see your name written all over Brahma chickens ...
I LOVE THESE GUYS! I follow a guy in Europe who has a FB page and is constantly sharing pictures and videos! You should see them run!:) I would totally have some if I could get my hands on them and then convince Jon to move out to the country! We'd have to win the lottery for that to happen though...both of us can't stand long drives to work. As is, we're about four miles from our work places and you should here us kvetch about the traffic!:mad:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow, they are impressive chickens...could be used as a watchdog - imagine one of those lurking out from the bushes lol ...I'm more of a Silkie bantam type...my grandparents had large White Leghorns and I was scared to death of them...
They wouldn't make very good watchdogs, they like to cuddle and will fall asleep in your lap!:rofl:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What!:faint:I really didn’t know that, they are not all that uncommon in the Netherlands! Maybe the chickens that live here are not pure or something? I looked on a sort of craigslist to see if Maybe I was wrong and they are rare here after all too, but I found a couple of males for €15, here they are:
View attachment 264447
Either way, I really like those chickens:D I love their colors too:xflove:
Yes, I think there are still quite a few in your area...what are the chances I could import some into the US?????

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Apparently they have a YouTube channel too which is full of videos! OMG! I found the one of the big male roo cuddling! I love this guy so much!