• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

about sweet potato

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
how do I prepare it for the fids? I don't have a microwave at the moment so i can't nuke it.

Do I boil them? and if so for how long? Also i imagine I take off the skin first right?

and if I do boil it, then what? Do i mash it? or give it to them in cubes? do I give it solo or with other foods?

thanks!! I am NOT a cook, as you can see :o: :hehe::hehe:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
peel them - then you can slice them up and boil til tender, drain and mash, sprinkle with a little cinnamon and serve!

you can also peel it, cube it boil til tender, but not falling apart, drain and serve

I add it to their fresh foods of the day when I have it here

you can also bake it in the skin, cut open when done and scoop the potato out, mash a little and serve

tattooedispatcher

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
peel them - then you can slice them up and boil til tender, drain and mash, sprinkle with a little cinnamon and serve!

you can also peel it, cube it boil til tender, but not falling apart, drain and serve

I add it to their fresh foods of the day when I have it here

you can also bake it in the skin, cut open when done and scoop the potato out, mash a little and serve

YEAH WHAT SHE SAID! I boil mine and add cinnamon to it for them

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I slice mine into circles, boil for 20 minutes, and then peel slips right off.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
thanks you guys!!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Mine love to be spoon fed mashed (after boiled to tender) sweet potato watered down to make a gooey texture. I sometimes add oatmeal to this.

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
I know that eyes are toxic. So I just peel to be sure no eye is there.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I did them yesterday and they were a hit!!... with Big Bird :hehe:
Tequila always makes it difficult in the beginning with new food and Hulk ate some of his when we showed him what a good boy Big Bird was for eating his... gotta love that jealousy streak. :rofl:

I know that eyes are toxic. So I just peel to be sure no eye is there.

the eye is the black part in the edge?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky loves his microwaved with the skin peeled off and mushed up.

Sherice

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sherice
I'm totally bummed, made some for Loki and he just bit me. Didn't want nothing to do with sweet potatoes, just wanted his apples. So I poured a little of my organic apple juice into the potatoes and mushed them some more, and same thing. He got all mad and bit me. I'm beginning to think I need bird training classes.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
is this the first time you have offered them to Loki?

usually I have to offer a 'new' something several times before there is interest

please don't be discouraged, it takes patience and often many tries

when I give a new food, I start with a little bit of it in the bowl of fresh food with the things they know

I also eat it (or pretend to :) ) in front of them, making yummy noises and acting like it is the best thing in the world

sorry you got bit, that is never fun

:hug8:

Sherice

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sherice
Wow great ideas! Thanks, yeah that little stinker gets his beak into my finger and I know its gonna be bad. :o: He really is a lover though. I will try adding the sweet tatoes to his apples or pears. I think that might work. Also the eating it thing, that kills him, whatever I eat he has to have!! So when I have my chocolate mini wheats he's gotta go back in his cage because he'll get upset if I dont give him what I'm eating. too funny....Thanks, I'm learning so much, I will try those things tomorrow.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Wow great ideas! Thanks, yeah that little stinker gets his beak into my finger and I know its gonna be bad. :o: He really is a lover though. I will try adding the sweet tatoes to his apples or pears. I think that might work. Also the eating it thing, that kills him, whatever I eat he has to have!! So when I have my chocolate mini wheats he's gotta go back in his cage because he'll get upset if I dont give him what I'm eating. too funny....Thanks, I'm learning so much, I will try those things tomorrow.

when I have something that they can't have, I try to have a little dish of things that is ok for them - and then give them little bits from that while I eat

that way, we are still eating together (and there is peace in the house :) )

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
is this the first time you have offered them to Loki?

usually I have to offer a 'new' something several times before there is interest

please don't be discouraged, it takes patience and often many tries

when I give a new food, I start with a little bit of it in the bowl of fresh food with the things they know

I also eat it (or pretend to :) ) in front of them, making yummy noises and acting like it is the best thing in the world

sorry you got bit, that is never fun

:hug8:

that's exactly what I was going to say. Tequila hasn't eaten any sweet potato, and I am on my 2nd day of offering it to her. I predict I need at least another week until she begins coming around :lol: a lot of wasted food unfortunately

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
Tiki loves mashed sweet potato....especially when I hand feed it to her~ she will bob her head and act like a baby birdy :lol:

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I've been trying and trying them with Cookie. She'd only eat them the tiniest bit Cooked - she wanted them hard. The past few days i've been sitting on our chair with her eating some for *me* out of a bowl and not sharing. After awhile she started getting interested, but i still didn't share :p (they had butter on them..) but today i made her her own bowl + mine and added cinnamon to hers and she ate alot! :) Of course, i fed it to her from a spoon..

Status
Not open for further replies.