• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

About dummy eggs

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello, me again.
So my female cockatiel Pebble is seemingly about to lay an egg (the huge stinky poops I've come to know when my previous female was still alive) and she has a mate. Now I do not want any babies, but I also don't have any dummy eggs. Frankly I do not even know what the has planned to be her nest, but I'm wondering is there a way I could craft some self made dummy eggs as I cannot find any on the internet (I found only one place that sells dummy eggs but it does not tell what size it is. I am also looking to buy from Finland, rather not get them abroad) or could I possibly take the eggs away for a day to sort of abort them (maybe instantly boil them?) and return or is she already triggered to replace and lay more eggs? I am incredibly stressed, albeit it is my fault for not finding the dummy eggs earlier, but I'm wondering is there still a solution. I will definitely find out some seller that has dummy eggs but for now I need to do something.
Thanks in advance.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Ok I found a site that sells dummy eggs, could lorikeet egg or dove egg be good? they have "parrot" egg but there is no indication what size it is.

edit: turns out they have run out of the dummy eggs and I would need to wait a lot longer to get the dummy eggs.

Last edited:

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
This might help you out;

I know that some people boil eggs right after the hen layed them an put them back in thd nest.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
This might help you out;

I know that some people boil eggs right after the hen layed them an put them back in thd nest.
this is something i thought myself! if other people do this i'll do it too. thank you.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Post #8 is a really good how to...

Reactions: Pie

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Post #8 is a really good how to...

very good information there, thank you!
i'll make sure Pebble will have everything she needs and keep my eye close. i know egg binding can happen any moment so that is my new source of stress since i now know i can just boil the eggs to make sure they're infertile.

thanks to all of you :) if there are any more tips and tricks or any links to webstores feel free to leave them here! i will check them all out.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can take the eggs and
Boil them or
Shake them or
Refrigerate them

then give them back to her.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Not heard that before! How long do you leave it for before doing that?
You’re just trying to addle the egg, I’m not sure you have to leave it at all. Just shake real good — think of stirring a raw egg.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You’re just trying to addle the egg, I’m not sure you have to leave it at all. Just shake real good — think of stirring a raw egg.
So you want the yolk to break up? That makes sense.

Personally I would boil the eggs. I'd be worried that they didn't get cold enough in the fridge or that I didn't shake them hard enough. Hard-boiling them seems pretty idiot-proof and I need that!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don´t trust refrigerating.
Boiling is the most sure way - just be sure the egg is completely cool to room temp before putting back (sometimes they feel cool enough, but are still pretty hot inside)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don´t trust refrigerating.
Boiling is the most sure way - just be sure the egg is completely cool to room temp before putting back (sometimes they feel cool enough, but are still pretty hot inside)
I agree— shaking is least trustworthy, then refrigerate but at the top is boil.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I actually just visited my nearest avian store and the owner there told me about the egg shaking! (Got a order up too for dummy tiel eggs, as they had ran out) She also said that one owner who shook all the eggs managed to still get a baby, so I shall go with the idiot-proof boiling mechanic! :D Refridgerating was also one of my past plans, so it is good to know some of my ideas have been quite common way to make the eggs infertile.

Also small update on Pebble, she hasn't pooped at least any humongous egg poops, though I have not seen her poop at all. I'm hoping she might've had a small problem with her tummy, resulting in big poops but I'll keep watching what she does. Overall health seems a-ok, and no signs of egg binding yet. :)

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Alright, poopdate! I saw Pebble just poop, it was not the humongous egg poop she did at least once, but still a sizeable poop. Not a lot of urate, mainly just green feces (they eat a lot of seeds, hoping to get them more pellet rich food in the future). So might've been a wrong alarm, and either her tummy was not feeling that well or she just hasn't been pooping the normal every-15-minute-poops.

Reactions: Ali