• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

About amount of light during day.

Archer90

Meeting neighbors
Hey!

I ve got maxi pionus and i wonder how much light your pionus are getting during the day? Im living in Netherlands and here is quite cloudy. So i bought a lamp and bulb with UVA, UVB and visable light. Also at this moment days are shorter so my Pi during the day is all the time in this 'false sunlight'. The thing is, the rest of the room is a bit darker. Do you think its bad for Pi?

I have no idea how i can extend the amount of light. When the days were longer he was going to sleep around 20-21, atm he is going to sleep and chill around 18.30 (max). During the day he is sleeping, eating, cleaning and playing a bit. The only difference i noticed is that he is Just going to sleep earlier.

Lamp is set around 50 cm from ylthe highest perch.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Careful with the lamp as they can burn the retinas. You should only leave it only about 3 hours per the conversation I had with Dr. Orosz about them. You can also get daylight bulbs to replace in your fixture for a bit more light. It does make a difference in colors and intensity.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Bump is a common phrase used on forums or other sites that use a system of showing the post that has had the most recent comment, or that highlight when there is new content in them. The idea is that the person commenting bump doesn't know the answer but they want to help more people see it by "bumping" the post up to the top on the "new posts" page. They're hoping that if more people see the post, someone will know the answer.

Archer90

Meeting neighbors
Ok ty for explaining it.
Since i made this thread i found some information about bulbs im using. Well, i can use special bulbs, but it is not working fully like it was intended. Im using zooplus bulb and this one is sending some UVA and UVB but the amount of it in most cases is not enough for parrots. So if anyone is looking for a good answer, webchirp gave us the closest to solve this problem. We all can use normal bulbs! So in that way we solved half of my problem. But i also heard some 'normal' bulbs are not good for parrots. Do you know anything about it?

The other half is about darker room around Cage. I still dont know if darker room is good or bad for parrots.

I found quite nice video explaining differences between bulbs. If you want i can post video later.