• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Abandoned will green parakeet nest

BirdView

Strolling the yard
I have been watching a wild green parakeet nested in a tree in front of my window for the last month now. Until yesterday I could see 3 chicks in the nest and mom and dad feeds the chicks multiple times a day. There were healthy and very close to fledge age.

Yesterday I couldn't see the chicks anymore. I thought I have missed their first flight but then it occurred to me that they are not all at the same age and it is unlikely they will fledge at the same day.

This morning I took a step and peek inside the nest. I was surprise to find 2 chicks who look very weak but still alive. I can definitely see and hear the parents flying around but they are not going into the nest anymore. I don't know what happened to the third chick and why the parents have abandoned the nest. Please advise!

IMG_4563.jpeg

BirdView

Strolling the yard
This is from 2 days ago. The checks have always been active and curious and someone is peaking out.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are you able to get in the nest and bring the birds indoors and hand feed them? I can´t quite work out how high up the nest is on the vid. Maybe use a ladder with help from a second person holding it stable?

Edit; use a thick towel to grab those chicks as bites will hurt

BirdView

Strolling the yard
Are you able to get in the nest and bring the birds indoors and hand feed them? I can´t quite work out how high up the nest is on the vid. Maybe use a ladder with help from a second person holding it stable?

Edit; use a thick towel to grab those chicks as bites will hurt
I can definitely bring the birds in. I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. The parents are still around. I even saw one of them perch on top of the tree but didn't go inside the nest. I don't know if this a complete abandonment or part of the natural process (weaning, fledging). I can tell for sure that yesterday and today is different from the days before. The chicks looks exhausted and they are not active anymore. Do you think it is okay to put some food and water in the nest for now or that does not work?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Just grab them and hand feed them. They will die very soon if you don't step in and try.
We raised a tiny house finch years ago from barely feathered and she did well, grew up, and bonded to us. We would feed her baby parrot formula during the day and if needed at night but she usually slept through the night.
Good luck, hoping for a good outcome.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The parents may be trying to get them to fledge. It's possible the 3rd one already did & is parked in a tree near by. However if it's hot & humid where you are they 2 remaining chicks will dehydrate quickly. I'd suggest trying to hand feed them some formula at least 3 times a day to keep their strength up. Feed them & put them back in the nest each time. They need their parents to teach them all about life. They should fledge soon by looks of them.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
Thank you all for the valuable feedback. I got attached to those birds and it is hard for me to watch them struggle without doing anything to help. Following my previous post I went outside and dropped a small water bowl and some food (spray millet, sunflower seeds, sweet potato) in the nest. There was 1 chick that did not move but scream at me very loud. I couldn't see the other one. The nest extends vertically and it might have been hiding where I couldn't see it. The chick I saw looked dehydrated and weak.

After I read Dartman and Toy's posts I decided to it is better to bring the chick in. Unfortunately, I couldn't find hand feeding formula at the local PetSmart. I will try to go to a the store in a nearby town but just in case if I don't find it, is there anything else I can substitute it with? Thank you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
is there anything else I can substitute it with?
In a pinch, mash some veggies. Cooked/steamed sweet potato and a couple of veggies, some cooked quinoa if you have it. Warm it and feed on a metal spoon.

For longer term, maybe @melissasparrots might know a recipe.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For babies this age, I'd try to just crush some pellets into a powder, mix with water and a little bit of baby food to help it stick together, then feed. If they are acting spooky and you can't get them to eat, try dimming the light so you can barely see. The dried flake baby rice cereal with some baby food from a jar like carrots, banana, etc. The majority of the food should be crushed pellets with a little bit of the human baby food to add diversity and help it mix better. You may have a hard time getting them to eat at this age. When in doubt, feed them and put them back with the parents.