• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Wish, A Decision, and A Very Scared Ringneck

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
With all this...a question...How are you and Hoshi doing?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
With all this...a question...How are you and Hoshi doing?
We are.. okay. He is still very fearful, I haven't been able to have any physical contact with him. He won't come to food, so that has been tough. I've seen on several sites that using food as a reward helps parrots to trust you. If Hoshi sees that I touched a piece of food and I put it in his food dish, he won't eat it. I'm thinking about possibly trying clicker training, but I'm not sure if that will do anything at this point.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I should also ask if you are in the Detroit area or Toledo? I live in southern Wood county so if you are in Toledo I'm not too far away if I could help in any way. My truck is getting pretty old now so traveling to Detroit isn't necessarily a great idea. It's been breaking down at least a couple times a year and in big ways.

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Is your vet Dr. Orosz? Was it her input?

You might want to talk to Lara Joseph, who is also in the Toledo area and is a professional bird/animal behaviorist:

The Animal Behavior Center, LLC - Educational Consultant - Sylvania, Ohio | Facebook - 134 Reviews - 2,880 Photos

In the meantime I second playing some hands off games with your bird. Peek a boo, singing and dancing, watching TV even and reading to him/her.
Yes I have seen both Dr. O and Dr. Mutchler. Besides talking about the signs of abuse on him, she said that over time he might warm up some, but he is most likely never going to be the cuddly bird that I had hoped for. She suggested that I try getting him out every day using a towel just to try to get him used to being held. She knows that toweling is never recommended but with Hoshi's situation that's the only thing else that I can try. She is also trying to get me in contact with Ann Brooks, which I have heard nothing from. She was leaving for South America at the end of August and I have no idea when she is coming back, so as far as getting help from her, it's a standstill.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She suggested that I try getting him out every day using a towel just to try to get him used to being held. She knows that toweling is never recommended but with Hoshi's situation that's the only thing else that I can try. She is also trying to get me in contact with Ann Brooks, which I have heard nothing from. She was leaving for South America at the end of August and I have no idea when she is coming back, so as far as getting help from her, it's a standstill.
How frustrating on top of everything else. :bored: I know you can only do what you can do and other people are out of your control, but dang it I wish things were going at least a little easier for you. :bluhug:

I should also ask if you are in the Detroit area or Toledo? I live in southern Wood county so if you are in Toledo I'm not too far away if I could help in any way. My truck is getting pretty old now so traveling to Detroit isn't necessarily a great idea. It's been breaking down at least a couple times a year and in big ways.
That is a very generous offer! I do hope your truck doesn't give you too many or any major grief until you're ready to trade up.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
How frustrating on top of everything else. :bored: I know you can only do what you can do and other people are out of your control, but dang it I wish things were going at least a little easier for you. :bluhug:

That is a very generous offer! I do hope your truck doesn't give you too many or any major grief until you're ready to trade up.

Me, too! It's 15 now though. I want it to last another 5 years until my mortgage is paid off, but I'm having my doubts. When I need to go to the Cleveland Clinic now I've been renting, just in case. It's an appointment I can't miss. So yes, I probably could go to Detroit and back without issue, but I'm not as certain of that as I used to be.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
If, at any time, you decide that it would be best to rehome Hoshi, please contact me. We do have experience with IRNs- 26 years worth- so we know the species well.

That being said...keep trying to work with him...you never know when a breakthrough could come...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If, at any time, you decide that it would be best to rehome Hoshi, please contact me. We do have experience with IRNs- 26 years worth- so we know the species well.

That being said...keep trying to work with him...you never know when a breakthrough could come...
That would work out well, too. I didn't think of that. You could always rehome him to Bob if you think that might be a better fit (as he has a soft spot for aloof birds :xflove:) and you could adopt a known cuddler instead. I know we all push to not rehome birds, but it's more because people get bored or don't want to put in the effort. You're doing the hard work and you're not bored, you just want him to be happy. Sometimes it's simply he best option all around. As long as you do your due diligence and make sure the new home is a good one and a good fit, everyone wins. Bob & his wife Kathy would be an outstanding choice if you do decide to go that route.

Bob's right, though there is always hope for some kind of breakthrough, too. :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know nothing about IRNs but I do hope that Hoshi will come around at some point. With some birds it just takes a lot of time and patience so don't give up.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
IRNs are special birds of extremes. Unfortunately, many birds like that suffer abuse for simply acting instinctively. Along with that though, know abuse may have nothing to do with the abusee and is usually about the abuser. So that's only a decision you can make.
Just like with a person, at what point do you stop? Only you will know. (***I'm about to use the "P"word, so now is the time some might prefer to stop reading.***) Pray for guidance and go with what you feel directed to do. This is a hard situation. As you see, there is nothing wrong with asking for help.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Again, the best choice is for you to keep working with Hoshi.

With great challenges, come great rewards...Hoshi is a great challenge..and you've already put much effort into working with him. It will take a redoubling of those efforts to see improvement...but you can do it! :yes3: