• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A win Against Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This is a huge step in controlling MRSA, C.diff and a multitude of other bacteria that have become resistant to our current antibiotics. Hank and Jasper both had MRSA and it was very difficult and took a long time to defeat in them.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
"The new approach disarms their natural defense mechanism, making existing antibiotics more lethal".

Amazing potential.

I wonder if the scientists are Star Trek fans because there's a scene in The Wrath of Khan where Kirk transmits a code to remotely lower the shields on Khan's ship — making it more susceptible to damage.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
LOL - @flyzipper When I was in college majoring in microbiology, I worked in a basic research lab (1956/57) where the professor had received a grant to study the mechanism by which microbial cells built their wall structures. At that time UC Davis had one of the few electron microscopes in the US and I was able to look at pseudomonas cell walls through it. Mostly I got to wash test tubes.

Real live scientific research really does not resemble Star Trek.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yepper - and Star Trek/Star Wars have been the source of much inspiration, but not scientific process.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
not scientific process
Not process, but progress.

Inspiration, a question, an idea, a hypothesis, are required to initiate the scientific method and our constant cycle of progress.

The War of of the Worlds was written in 1898, and 70 years later Apollo 11 landed on the moon in 1969.

Robert H. Goddard, who built the first liquid-fuelled rocket, is considered one of the ‘fathers’ of rocketry.

He became interested in space when he read H. G. Wells' science fiction classic The War of the Worlds at 16 years old.[1] His dedication to pursuing space flight became fixed on October 19, 1899. The 17-year-old Goddard climbed a cherry tree to cut off dead limbs. He was transfixed by the sky, and his imagination grew. He later wrote:
On this day I climbed a tall cherry tree at the back of the barn ... and as I looked toward the fields at the east, I imagined how wonderful it would be to make some device which had even the possibility of ascending to Mars, and how it would look on a small scale, if sent up from the meadow at my feet. I have several photographs of the tree, taken since, with the little ladder I made to climb it, leaning against it.
It seemed to me then that a weight whirling around a horizontal shaft, moving more rapidly above than below, could furnish lift by virtue of the greater centrifugal force at the top of the path.
I was a different boy when I descended the tree from when I ascended. Existence at last seemed very purposive.

(source)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, but after the progress of "inspiration" occurs then the hard, boring and expense of the process takes place. No progress without process.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, that’s awesome!