• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Very Special Gift..... *Repost*

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:heart: :heart: :heart: Amazing story. Sending positive thoughts your way.
Just be inspired and send your positive thoughts outward. :laugh::D This thread was originally posted in 2013. ;)

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
This story starts back in May 2013 when we decided our scarlet macaw Maui needed to have a procedure done called imping. Maui was clipped as a weanling and never flew, for almost two years all attempts to regrow his left wing feathers had failed. Having only one wing feathered he fell quite often and always broke another left wing or tail feather. Sometimes it was worse and he would bruise his face or break the tip of his beak, we were really worried one of these falls would be his last as he even split his keel open several times. Imping is where donor feathers are glued into the birds existing broken feathers allowing the bird full use of the wing. We only hoped Maui's falling issues were related to his unbalanced wings and searched for a vet to do the procedure. Early in June we found a vet that would do it and scheduled an appointment right away. The only thing standing in our way was the vet had never done a macaw and had no feathers for this procedure.

A very special gift......

Maui received a generous amount of feathers from his friends, included was a very special gift from Hankmacaw. Mary Lynn donated left side wing and tail feathers from her beloved Greenwings Hank and Jasper. I was overwhelmed by this gift as Hank passed away in November 2012. I remember she wrote "even if you don't use them, I will pretend you did so that Hank may finally fly". I was touched by her words and when I held Hanks feathers in my hand I shed tears. In that moment I knew this story would be shared and what would become of these feathers.

Maui's imping appointment was flawless. He had eleven new feathers on his left wing and included was one feather from Hank. We later called it his "magic feather" as once this feather was in place he never fell again. Maui flew for the first time in late June. I cried knowing this was also Hank's first flight. I truly believe that Hank was watching over Maui through all of this as every flight Maui took was well thought out and executed perfectly. That is not Maui's personality.

I knew my feather project would include both the tail feathers Mary Lynn sent and also, once molted, the magic feather from Maui's wing. I had six tail feathers but only from the left side. To complete my project I needed both right and left greenwing tail feathers and my Rosie was not a good match in size. Our second special gift came from Macawpower58. Becky loved the project idea and sent tons of feathers from her greenwing Chaos to help me complete the right side. Between Hank, Jasper, Chaos and Rosie we now had the perfect set to send out.The set was sent out to A Painted Sparrow. Jaime's custom artwork is amazing and she took such special care with these feathers.

While the tail set was being completed Maui gave us our third special gift. He was sitting on the play gym playing when we noticed a feather drop to the floor, a moment later he followed the feather and fell from the gym. He bruised his cheek from the fall and we were shocked wondering what had happened. Only then did we notice it was his magic feather that he had dropped. Maybe that was Hank giving Maui a final thought. Telling him "your on your own now kid" and reminding him that his wings are his own. That was the first and last time Maui has fell since the imping.

Mary Lynn, this is your feather portrait being done.............

Mary Lynn, please do not thank me as it is I who thanks you. One can only imagine how difficult it would be to give away one of the only pieces of Hank you had left to hold onto. Having lost a feathered friend myself I used my own thoughts and feelings for your project and I'm sure Becky did as well. Your feather portrait contains feathers from Hank, Jasper, Chaos and Rosie. Chaos and Rosie chew their feather quills and I can't speak for Chaos but Rosie does not apologize. You will notice on Hank's single painted feather the quill looks strange. That is Maui's magic feather and you are seeing the bamboo rod still in place holding the two feathers together. Included in your package are your remaining feathers minus one and a few extras from Chaos and Rosie that match the set. Becky and I were having fun deciding how to set up this picture and I'm sure we will be showing you our photos and ideas in case you ever decide to change the picture around.

I hope this keeps Hanks memory close to you and you feel happiness when you look upon it. My special gift from you is now right back where it belongs.

But, This is not where our story ends......

I still had remaining feathers from doing this project. I knew in my heart more could come of this story and I set my mind to make it so. Becky had sent me a generous amount of beautiful wing and tail feathers from Chaos, I think the longest greenwing tail feathers I have ever seen. As we did not need more feathers then we had, we decided together to sell them and gift the money to a birdie in need. Knowing how much help I received from Bigblues and WingedVictory when joining the forums, I emailed JR asking if she could think of a birdie that could use a special gift. Annamacaws Kita came to her mind. Dianne helps so many birds in need and Keety-Bug has been in my thoughts so many times I was more than happy to send her a donation in Kita's name.

The last gift in this story was given to a birdie named Canasta. I was contacted by a women asking about imping for her recently injured macaw. Canasta and her flock mates were in an outdoor aviary during a storm. Tragically a tree fell on the shelter portion of the aviary and Canasta was hit. Luckily bumps, bruises, missing and broken feathers were all the injuries she sustained but her vet thought imping would help her to fly again. Canasta had the procedure only days after receiving the feathers. I am told she took back to flying the very same day. This gift was from Chaos, Korbel and my last feather from Hank.

Now that we are nearing the end of this story.... who deserves the thanks....

Mary Lynn started the gift giving in this story, I merely continued it. I continued it because Gary and JR showed me this same kindness and compassion when I was in need and I knew that was the kind of person I wanted to be. This project would not have been completed without Becky. Not only for the feathers but for going over every single detail with me to make sure it was perfect. Karen Dianne and all the members that have these birds that pour love into our hearts made this happen. I think it's the birds that make us better people. When I stop and think who deserves the thanks, I think It's the birds. The birds that we live with, love on, cry to and grieve for.

These are special gifts from the birds we love to the birds we love.

May this story inspire you and may Hank's memory stay close to your heart the next time you help someone in need. Acts of kindness are not easily gifted as most often they are returned to you.

In Loving memory of ....

Hank Greg & Gimli
What an AMAZING story, I enjoyed reading it very much. Thank you for sharing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Omg!!! How have I never seen this thread till now???
I have snot and tears covering my face and clothes :lol: .... the people here, the stories of care and love given and shared are just so touching and heartwarming.
This is the most beautiful inspiring story- I am really struggling for words here.

Omg this was the most beautiful story about acts of generosity, kindness, love and care as well as some of the most special people ever coming together for such an amazing reason :heart::heart::heart:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Truly a beautiful story of friendship, love and giving from the wings of freedom for new life in flight. The feeling must have been glorious to see Maui fly once again!!!!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My goodness... :heart: Onions... somewhere maybe.:hug9:What an incredible story.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't think any of us mind when it gets bumped up from the dark. :xflove: The original post didn't survive well through an upgrade and I was asked to repost and sticky it. A Very Special Gift.......

I still feel the same as the day I wrote it. The members involved in this story are ever so dear to me. I had a lot to learn when I joined this forum. This group held my hand through my very worst.
@Big Blues @WingedVictory @Annamacaw ( Even when they are not posting here I assure you they are helping people with their birds somewhere ) @macawpower58 @Karen ... Still, forever thank you. @Hankmacaw You have saved so many of my birds and so many more on this forum. I never need a reason to remind you that I love you.

Oh, and just because I'm remembering an old forum right now.. I'll add two fabulous names to this "ever so dear to me" group. :laugh:
@expressmailtome @aooratrix

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
My all time favorite story on the forum :heart::heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's surprising to think that nearly 7 years has passed since this all started. I remember it. I remember following along. I remember when Maui finally started flying and I remember him molting out that feather... and creating the gift. It was all so special. :) Many of us couldn't really help out, but we were there for support! :D

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think any of us mind when it gets bumped up from the dark. :xflove: The original post didn't survive well through an upgrade and I was asked to repost and sticky it. A Very Special Gift.......

I still feel the same as the day I wrote it. The members involved in this story are ever so dear to me. I had a lot to learn when I joined this forum. This group held my hand through my very worst.
@Big Blues @WingedVictory @Annamacaw ( Even when they are not posting here I assure you they are helping people with their birds somewhere ) @macawpower58 @Karen ... Still, forever thank you. @Hankmacaw You have saved so many of my birds and so many more on this forum. I never need a reason to remind you that I love you.

Oh, and just because I'm remembering an old forum right now.. I'll add two fabulous names to this "ever so dear to me" group. :laugh:
@expressmailtome @aooratrix
:grouphug2:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I never saw this thread until today. What an incredible story, filled with so much love with such caring souls who'd come together to help bring flight to a flightless bird. I love this story on so many levels.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I started crying yesterday when I read this again and have teared up every time I've given it thought throughout my day today. Thinking of everyone.

Truly such a heartfelt inspirational story.

Remembering... the problem, the thought, the planning, everyone thinking is this possible? Could Maui be helped? Everyone practically holding their breath waiting for the news that the procedure was a success, waiting for the news that he could fly, waiting for the news of the feather painting to be done.

Remembering Sarah being so grateful, beyond words grateful and Mary Lynn being humble and proud to offer help from Hank. Remembering the beautiful donation of feathers from Becky and Chaos. People stopped by the board that had never visited before, to read the news and to lend their support with a message.

Good memories.

Yes, there are good people in the world and we get to call them friends.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I never thought one minute about not helping - didn't occur to me that it was anything special. I didn't realize, at that time, just how much Sarah loves her birds. I do now.

Everyone was wonderful and tried to help and Becky was super. Best of all Maui got out of that cycle of fall lose feathers grow them back fall... He's now a big boy who flies like a F18.

I love that feather picture of Hank and Jasper.