• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Very Special Gift..... *Repost*

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It really and truly was not made to make people cry - it was written and posted to remind everyone that sometimes just a little action can make a lot of people happy. Also always always, pay it forward.

@Danita not yet, not now I'm not ready to share Jasper's issues - someday I will, but right now we are in the middle of the battle and everything, including her survival is up in the air. If you aren't familiar with Jasper's story, it is here - Pictures - Celebirdy for the month of December 2013/(Hankmacaw's)Jasper | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

RosieBird

Rollerblading along the road
I am balling my eyes out. What a beautiful story, beautifully written for beautiful people.

As I'm sniffling in my kleenex, Rosie is beside me on her rolling stand and she concernedly whispered "Boooo"

Thank you for sharing and posting this. Truly generous and wonderful bird lovers on AA.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up for Jasper

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
See ML. I knew you had a halo. :sadhug2:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
OMG! What a story. Not a dry eye in the house. I wonder if I should be saving feather's for such a cause that might arise? ANY THOUGHTS? I was thinking of having this procedure done but I think Wilbur is in a safe zone for now. I think it would be almost impossible to get feather's for a Major Mitchell since I don't think many have them. He has one flight feather on one side and two on another that has come in and softened his landings just in the last couple of months! I don't clip but this was done without my knowledge one day before I brought him home! I was so upset and his falls were so horrifying. I have read of this procedure but don't know if anyone in this area does it. Thanks for sharing.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
OMG! What a story. Not a dry eye in the house. I wonder if I should be saving feather's for such a cause that might arise? ANY THOUGHTS? I was thinking of having this procedure done but I think Wilbur is in a safe zone for now. I think it would be almost impossible to get feather's for a Major Mitchell since I don't think many have them. He has one flight feather on one side and two on another that has come in and softened his landings just in the last couple of months! I don't clip but this was done without my knowledge one day before I brought him home! I was so upset and his falls were so horrifying. I have read of this procedure but don't know if anyone in this area does it. Thanks for sharing.

I think if you look hard enough you will find someone. They do not have to be MM feathers, just something as similar as possible. I will admit, after seeing what/how they did it, it is something I could do myself "IF" I had the perfect bird that would not move a muscle. :)

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
@Hankmacaw sometimes it can help the soul deal with things that life has thrown at you if you enlarge your support system. This coming from someone who is private with a lot of things, doesn't do FaceBook or post pictures.

May Jasper have a wealth of easier days and you know that you are loved too. :grouphug3:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope ML doesn't mind me saying, but Jasper isn't doing well right now.
I hope she feels she can share with all of you, Jasper's current health struggles.
:(

Oh no. :( I hope Miss Jasper is feeling better...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
praying for Jasper and you ML.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I just now saw this. Holy crap I am crying so hard I can't even see the screen.

@Hankmacaw I hope with everything I've got that Jasper is doing better now.

FYI to anyone else thinking about having imping done- there is an alternative too. I looked in to imping for Tulip since her previous owners absolutely destroyed her feathers with the worst clip ever performed. My vet, who is experienced in imping, said it wouldn't work for Tulip because she likes to pull on her wing feathers with her feet. Pulling on the donor feathers would make them fall out, and then we'd be right back where we started.

She suggested an alternative procedure. Tulip was sedated, and our vet pulled out 4-5 of the clipped flight feathers on each wing. They applied pressure to make sure any bleeding was fully stopped. Then they gave her a shot of pain meds and woke her back up. Entire procedure took less then 5 minutes. They gave her an injection of pain meds while she was anesthetized, so i never had to fight with her to give her medicine. Tulip seemed a little sore for the rest of that afternoon, but it never affected her appetite or anything and by the next morning she was 100% herself again.

Pulling out the clipped feathers stimulated Tulip's body to produce new ones. With a month she had started to grow all new wing feathers where the clipped ones had been pulled. And since there were 4-5 feathers growing in all at the same time, they were able to support each other and she didn't break any of them off.

Now 8 wks later she has nearly completely regrown all of those feathers and she's not falling and hurting herself all the time anymore! It wasn't expensive either- only $75 for the whole she-bang. It was so quick, easy, and painless I'm taking her back in next week to have 5 more feathers done one each wing. When those grow back in, she should have full flight capabilities- only 12 wks from when we started all this! Left to their own devices, those feathers could have taken 2 years to grow back in!

This procedure might not be right for everybirdie, but it has been a miracle worker for Tulip. If you have a bird with flight feather issues, definitely discuss this option with your vet.

dlink

Hit the Road
Real Name
Victor Borgur
What a wonderful story and the picture on the feathers is amazing!! Someone is very talented!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
This story made my heart swell. :heart:

But you forgot to mention one last gift - you gifted all of us by sharing this beautiful story. Thank you.