• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A tiny Merlin story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Ok, this probably won't sound like a big deal but I still feel like I need to post it and get props!!

Merlin, the spectacled amazon I am fostering is the first large parrot I have ever lived with. He is smaller than the other amazons but still way big compared to my tiels, GCC and Linnie and other littles. I am getting used to handling him. I am feeling pretty comfortable with him and trying to learn to read his body language.

A little while he was hanging out here on his playstand going through his foraging box, he kind climbed over the box and he came off the stand towards me and landed on my arm, by his beak! So, he was hanging from my forearm by his beak and trying to get up, I used my other hand to let him step up and help him find his footing. Then, I put him back on his playstand, no big deal.

BUT, an amazon was hanging from my arm by his beak and 2 great things happened....1) he didn't bite down hard and he didn't freak when I helped him up with my other hand and 2) I didn't freak!

Maybe we will be ok:rolleyes:

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: hey of course its a big deal! Thats a big step to take when your not used to them. You did great! With time you will adjust and will handle them like the pros! I remember the first tine I handled a B&G... no exp with anything bigger than a conure, I offered him my finger (of all things, I never really thought about it!), and he looked at my finger and then at me like WTF?? then proceeded to place one foot on my wrist and another on my elbow! Haha but I survived, and am trying to help my neighbor with her M2..

So Congrats! you are doing great!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
:hug8: hey of course its a big deal! Thats a big step to take when your not used to them. You did great! With time you will adjust and will handle them like the pros! I remember the first tine I handled a B&G... no exp with anything bigger than a conure, I offered him my finger (of all things, I never really thought about it!), and he looked at my finger and then at me like WTF?? then proceeded to place one foot on my wrist and another on my elbow! Haha but I survived, and am trying to help my neighbor with her M2..

So Congrats! you are doing great!
Thank you! That made me laugh out loud when the B&G asked WTF? Too funny:lol::lol:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
He's telling you something.
:highfive:

If an Amazon wants to be with you, they will go to you. :hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, that is soo adorable!! Sammy flies to me when she wants to see me!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Hey, if he hadn't trusted you enough and really didn't want your help, he would have found superbirdie strength to get out of it himself.
And good for you to be calm and let it not be a missed opportunity!
:wave:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Thanks you guys. I am feeling very proud of both of us right now. I am all about celebrating small successes, this felt really good:)

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
One small step for Merlin, one giant step for your relationship :highfive:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
i think it is wonderful hes getting used to you...keep HIM KEEP HIM KEEP HIM..well I know a lot of factors go into that..

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
i think it is wonderful hes getting used to you...keep HIM KEEP HIM KEEP HIM..well I know a lot of factors go into that..
I am feeling like I might but since there is not pressure or rush to decide, I haven't actually said it yet:)

My husband asked me the other day if I "loved Merlin" and if I thought I would keep him, I told him I did love him and that I was thinking of it. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.