• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A thread for photos of my and my brother's reptiles, tarantulas, and scorpions

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
image0000001_07.jpg
Rigby. :) My Bro's finally settled on his name. He was my birthday gift to my little brother (he chose Rigby, I just coughed up the cash).

image0000011_01.jpg
Other Steven pretending to be a branch.

image0000031.jpg And Jasper, prior to her big escape and capture today.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Ooh cuties! I love looking at tarantulas but I don't think I could have one as a pet. Same goes for things like roaches, for me. I think it's the undersides that bother me, even when I had millies I couldn't look at their underbellies without feeling a bit squiggy.

I used to have millipedes, they were awesome. Very chill dudes, they just walked around and dug holes. They really liked potato and zucchini. I always had to put in 2 slices, because the bigger one would wrap her whole body around a slice, not letting the other eat! And if I left the skin on, they never ate it. Picky little guys! I miss having them around, maybe I'll get more one day. Josh's Frogs has so many types now, including one I was looking at before I got my millipedes.

Oh, and I have Fuzzgig. Sometimes he squeaks when I pick him up, and also sometimes he stares at me at night. He's a spooky one. But a chill dude overall. He tries to climb like a tree frog, but I don't want to crush his dreams and tell him he's too chonky.

This was Mallow, he went MIA in the tank one day, and I never found him. I think he's eating those good leaves at the Rainbow Bridge. Sometimes I wonder if after Akeley passed, he wanted to be with her. I guess we'll never know.

And this was Akeley, she was cool. She threw up if startled but I learned to deal with the millipede burn. She passed on, as she was dying Mallow stayed with her, when she passed he left her alone.

And this is my chonker boy Fuzzgig. Sometimes he sings at the tv, or music, or Chirp. He's silly.

Ooh, your pedes are awesome! :> I was kinda wanting a toad or a frog, but I'm not so sure I'd be a good fit.

I really don't find myself looking at my terrestrial tarantulas' undersides too often. If you ever decide to take the plunge, I highly recommend a Grammostola variety. My Porteri is absolutely lovely. She's nice and slow and not interested in flicking hair or biting.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
That’s a Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Orthriophis taeniurus callicyanous) and they are a type of old world rat snake not a king snake. They can get real big even though they don’t have any mass to them. Know someone with one that’s hit the 11ft mark. I have the Chinese Beauty and the Ridleyi Beauty which are smaller than the Blues!

Nice animals! Needs more boas though:p

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That’s a Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Orthriophis taeniurus callicyanous) and they are a type of old world rat snake not a king snake. They can get real big even though they don’t have any mass to them. Know someone with one that’s hit the 11ft mark. I have the Chinese Beauty and the Ridleyi Beauty which are smaller than the Blues!

Nice animals! Needs more boas though:p
Thanks for the correction! I'm not too great at id'ing snakes yet, I was just going off of the photos and name my mom sent me.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Took most of my Gekks out to see my bro (one at a time). Tad Cooper unfortunately is way too jumpy.

Hellboy, aka the big dumb lug.

image0000051.jpg

Not sure why, but my Anathema was obsessed with the ketchup bottle... o-O

image0000071.jpg

And now for Toothless! :)
image0000011_02.jpg

And my Bro's herps;

Jasper, right where she'd been hiding for three hours under a hat.

image0000031_01.jpg

Other Steven during hook training in preparation for when he's all grown up

image0000071_01.jpg

Lars being a v danger Cober.

image0000091.jpg

And Misses grumpybutt after being on the lam.
image0000061.jpg

Last but not least, her 'big brother'. He's a very serious boi you see...
image0000081_01.jpg

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Woah!!! My pet aquarium had a gecko in it!!!
Screenshot_20190924-220425.png
:omg:

Really tho, this is Tad Cooper. I barely see him and he was off food for so long until I found a flavor he liked. This is his first time eating without assistance.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
IMG_20190930_165518445.jpg
Scorpling pile! :laugh: These are my 5 H. Petersii, Eyeball, Doc, Army, Leggy, and Navy.

Screenshot_20190930-152229.png
And one of my three Paravaejovis (Hoffmannius) spinigerus; Bismuth, Lapis, and Peridot.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Reptiles can be interesting but no scorps for me...Not much into insects but I do like spiders just not as pets...

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Reptiles can be interesting but no scorps for me...Not much into insects but I do like spiders just not as pets...
I get it. I just find them fascinating. You really have to see them move about irl to understand the fascination. My two Spinifer move like tanks and tend to wander far from one another, my Petersii like laying flat on the ground and tend to form little piles of 4 with one acting as a lookout. My Yellow Devils tend to talk more with their tails and move a lot more smoothly than the other two.

The portion of the brain that dictates social behavior is absent in them, but they're able to recognize their own species and the scorpions they grew up with. My Petersii are from three different pairings and were raised communally, but if I tried to add a scorpion they don't recognize into the group, they would kill it.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I get it. I just find them fascinating. You really have to see them move about irl to understand the fascination. My two Spinifer move like tanks and tend to wander far from one another, my Petersii like laying flat on the ground and tend to form little piles of 4 with one acting as a lookout. My Yellow Devils tend to talk more with their tails and move a lot more smoothly than the other two.

The portion of the brain that dictates social behavior is absent in them, but they're able to recognize their own species and the scorpions they grew up with. My Petersii are from three different pairings and were raised communally, but if I tried to add a scorpion they don't recognize into the group, they would kill it.

Some people are like that too unfortunately...

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Imgur

Imgur

Two gifs of the Yellow (pink) devils. There's a pre-killed mealworm in the second. (No close-ups, just the very tail of it).

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My whole childhood I was obsessed with entomology. I collected, read about and studied any little creature I could find. I remember excitedly showing my mother a series of earwigs I found when she came home from the office.. I don't think she valued them in the way I did :p

I loved the documentary on insects with David Attenborough. I found the clip with the praying mantis really fascinating. The mantis was acid sprayed by a beetle, and did not learn. The beetle walked by again and the mantis struck again. It was very amazing. The prey drive was so strong, and it helped show case how a mantis brain may work. Many animals will quickly learn from a negative encounter and will avoid in the future. (part of why our birdies can be such picky little stinkers when it comes to their foods :p)

This is just part of the story, if you watch the whole documentary you will see what I mean!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
image0000001.jpg
Toothless. <: My Halloween crested geck.

image0000021.jpg
Mister Hellboy all fired up.

My brother's reptiles;

image0000011.jpg
Prismo, the absolute sweetest bowtie in the world. He's still too thin, but he's doing much better and now eats every time he's offered food.

image0000031.jpg
And Finn, having his dins.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Heehee I collect Grammastolas; I have a hognose *Alibino* male baby, A sassy fat Chuckwalla, a stumpffy's Gecko, and a pueblan milksnake.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Look at all those wee scorplings!! :swoon: I just wanna smooch them all, pedipalps and stings to the face be damned! lol

Prismo is gorgeous! I love a pied BP, they're so beautiful.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Heehee I collect Grammastolas; I have a hognose *Alibino* male baby, A sassy fat Chuckwalla, a stumpffy's Gecko, and a pueblan milksnake.
Lucky buuum! Grammastolas are super hard to find here. Peach was a rescue, and I suspect she might be one of the last w/c to be allowed into the country.

I've never heard of Stumpffy's before, but daaaang, they look cute!

Look at all those wee scorplings!! :swoon: I just wanna smooch them all, pedipalps and stings to the face be damned! lol

Prismo is gorgeous! I love a pied BP, they're so beautiful.
Lol, I know the feeling. They're so cute but so hands off. :sad5: Especially the Vaejovis scorps. They're so smol, but so not boopable.

And Prismo is a very good boy. ;n; And a silly pig. We mostly covered his transport tub to avoid spooking my gekks (and other obvious issues), but you can bet that he had his nose to the plastic trying to watch them.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I'm betting you can't get imports either :c I always get mine through fearnottarantulas.

I found this tarantula breeder in Canada though and they ship! So long as the weather is nice its a good way to get hard to find spiders.

Tarantula Canada

They have Pulchras and Actaeon G.'s Too!
I have both of these guys, Pulchra's are so chill!

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
IMG_20191014_163539303.jpg
IMG_20191014_163548814.jpg
Ugggh, Baby finally decided to eat. ;3; She hadn't touched anything in several months and her abdomen was so shrunken. It took seriously upping the humidity and several pre-killed mealworms for her to actually eat. I'm so glad that she did! Her kind is Near-Threatened in the wild and every captive born/bred individual we have here is precious and a part of the fight against the illegal smuggling of her kind from the wild. There are so few of them left in captivity too that it's driving up the illegal capture of this iconic species.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'm betting you can't get imports either :c I always get mine through fearnottarantulas.

I found this tarantula breeder in Canada though and they ship! So long as the weather is nice its a good way to get hard to find spiders.

Tarantula Canada

They have Pulchras and Actaeon G.'s Too!
I have both of these guys, Pulchra's are so chill!
:p I actually got a spider from them. Unfortunately, Peach is a Porteri, and they aren't breeding them.

IMG_20191015_162140849.jpg

I finally picked up some Centruoides vittatus (pantheriensis/yellow form) scorpions. The male with the thick, long tail is Pearl, and Spinel is the female on the right with the shorter, thinner tail. They're parthenogenic, buuuuut I snagged both as they're hard to come by. They're also communal and were raised together. <: