• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A tempting offer

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The breeder who gave my hahns has called me yesterday. He has decided to downsize his flock. So he's telling me I can adopt any bird from his farm! A very very tempting offer. There are a lot of parrots which we can't see commonly here. I told you before, there's a yellow collared macaw, an illigers, a Jardine parrot. Many more are there. My husband loved an old moluccan cockatoo who is partially blind. But I have some genuine problem. Money is definitely a big factor, but more importantly, I think I have reached my limit. My flock size is now just optimum.
So I'm being a sissy and sharing my thoughts with you all. Friends, please forgive my nagging and tell me your opinions.
The offer is seriously SO lucrative, I can't just ignore it. What a dilemma!!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Think about it logically, can you afford and care for another bird? This offer is so tempting though :lol: .
If you're not able to give another bird full attention and care, then i'd say to pass it down.
Let me know what you decide on please!! :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh I would so looove another Illigers or yellow collar! My Illigers is far from perfect or normal but he has humor! Funniest animal I have met so far. Blind old Moluccan though, I have such a weak spot for disabled birds.
With a cockatoo you would have the dust issue with your others though. And if you are at your maximum capacity, adding one more will not be fun at all and only a lot of stress. Think about it deeply, if you really want to add a certain species later on, it might be difficult to locate one but you probably will eventually, like with Pestaa. Also, depending on the age and history of the birds they may not thrive as companions. You could probably make it work but you might be in for a stressful journey depending on the bird’s personality.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I looked on Craigslist for my area and there are so many adorable baby parrots advertised, some of them for very reasonable prices. And there are some rehome situations where household pairs of birds are at a discount.

I am in a crowded apartment but I’m still tempted by cute birds, especially if their owner is having a baby/ sick/ moving and can’t take the bird. I know all things being equal I’d be a good bird parent. But my life is complicated enough with Jasper and Willow.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Totally agree with you... It's against my nature to act impulsively, but this is an unusual situation. That guy today offered a hand raised sun.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
, if you really want to add a certain species later on, it might be difficult to locate one but you probably will eventually, like with Pestaa.
Agreed.... My brain is saying me to drop it, if only my heart listens to it :lol:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry- can you refresh my memory- how many birds do you currently have? I would start by looking at your space. Where would you put another cage? What size cage do you need? Then I would make a list of the added expense of another bird, also factoring in vet checks and cage cost. If that all clears, then I would look at time. Do you have time for another bird? I say that because that's my current dilemma. I love Milton, my foster cockatoo with all my heart, but time-wise I just don't have enough time to give him. I wish I did. I already get up 2 hours early to spend time with the birds before I go to work. That doesn't include the 45 minutes or so I need to get ready for work. Also, there's the balance of your flock to consider. Will another bird fit in? I think that's something to consider too when adding another bird. My soft side says get the Moluccan- but realistically he likely won't be able to interact with the rest of your flock (not even getting into the dust issue). So that means separate out of the cage time, etc. All things to seriously think about. I of course want to see a bird go to a good home, which I know you would provide, but you have to think about how another bird would affect your life too.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry- can you refresh my memory- how many birds do you currently have? I would start by looking at your space. Where would you put another cage? What size cage do you need? Then I would make a list of the added expense of another bird, also factoring in vet checks and cage cost. If that all clears, then I would look at time. Do you have time for another bird? I say that because that's my current dilemma. I love Milton, my foster cockatoo with all my heart, but time-wise I just don't have enough time to give him. I wish I did. I already get up 2 hours early to spend time with the birds before I go to work. That doesn't include the 45 minutes or so I need to get ready for work. Also, there's the balance of your flock to consider. Will another bird fit in? I think that's something to consider too when adding another bird. My soft side says get the Moluccan- but realistically he likely won't be able to interact with the rest of your flock (not even getting into the dust issue). So that means separate out of the cage time, etc. All things to seriously think about. I of course want to see a bird go to a good home, which I know you would provide, but you have to think about how another bird would affect your life too.
Well said and I agree with you

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
how many birds do you currently have?
I have a CBC- Rio, an OWA- inca, five budgies and the newest one- Pestaa, hahns macaw. Rio is my hubby's bird, inca is mine. We're facing some challenges with Pestaa, so right now I can't get another bird. But this breeder has some interesting species. My rational thinking is asking me to let this offer go. I just wish...
I know how hard decision you had to take with Milton. You're really amazing!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have a CBC- Rio, an OWA- inca, five budgies and the newest one- Pestaa, hahns macaw. Rio is my hubby's bird, inca is mine. We're facing some challenges with Pestaa, so right now I can't get another bird. But this breeder has some interesting species. My rational thinking is asking me to let this offer go. I just wish...
I know how hard decision you had to take with Milton. You're really amazing!
That's sweet of you, thanks. Bob would have done it for me if it was the other way around. It sounds like you have your answer. It's so hard not to want to take in more birds. But we all have limits as to what we can do, and it's important for people to know their limits. There will always be more birds out there looking for a home if you're ever ready for another one.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Finally, I listened to brain. Today we went to visit the breeder. There were a lot of rare birds, amongst them a beautiful male Patagonian conure. He cradled in hubby's arm sweetly. The breeder was insisting for his adoption. But me and hubby both politely declined the offer.
I came back with a heavy heart. Just can't forget the blind cockatoo and the Patagonian conure. I wish I could have brought them home.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahww, I would definitely have the same aching in my heart in your situation. But if you can’t handle more, you can’t handle more. If your partner feels the same maybe you can have a chat about it in a few weeks time and see if things have changed, and if they are still up for adoption.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I adore Patis. That would have been hard for me, too.