• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A suggestion

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys i want your suggestion on something. At the end of this month i have to travel to another city. I've got two cockatiels. I will be using public transport which do not allow animals on board of any kind. I will be gone for 4-5 days max. Should i leave my parrots in my home with enough food and water that they can not run out of it or should i look for other option? I can leave them with someone else but i'm not sure they can take care of them well enough like i do. Also they are birds and can be spooked by strangers. What you guys say?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I recommend arranging to have a friend or family member pet-sit for you while you are away, since it isn't a good idea to leave them unattended for that long. The sitter can come each day to check on the birds and ensure that they are safe and have fresh food and water. Since it is a short trip, the birds will be fine in their cages, so your pet sitter doesn't need to take them out or interact with them that much. You just need someone to check on them and take care of basic needs.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I can leave them with someone else but i'm not sure they can take care of them well enough like i do.
But if you can´t do it, then you are better having someone ¨not as good as you¨ rather than no one.

Imagine they tip the water bowl on the first day? (besides the fact that water goes funny after a day or two).
Or get stuck on a toy?

So much could go wrong with so much time alone. Best to have someone check in on them to change water and fill food bowls, or board them at the vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have had birds for 23 three years and not one of them has ever spent an overnight without me being with them or them being boarded at their vet's. Leaving birds alone overnight is no better than leaving a three year old human toddler alone.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you don't know anyone personally, you can try looking for a pet sitting service. I wouldn't leave them alone without anyone checking on them.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I think you should board them at the vet or have someone else watch them. Others have mentioned, if they tipped their food out, tipped the water dish, got caught in a toy, got caught in the cage door, cut themselves, injured themselves in a night fright, and so many freak accidents that could happen any moment. Not to mention the water gets nasty and unsafe after one day, It should be changed at least once a day and washed at least once a day, leaving it there for 4 days is just not an option.

Hope you find a solution!

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
I recommend arranging to have a friend or family member pet-sit for you while you are away, since it isn't a good idea to leave them unattended for that long. The sitter can come each day to check on the birds and ensure that they are safe and have fresh food and water. Since it is a short trip, the birds will be fine in their cages, so your pet sitter doesn't need to take them out or interact with them that much. You just need someone to check on them and take care of basic needs.
Thanks i will arrange someone.

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
Ok
But if you can´t do it, then you are better having someone ¨not as good as you¨ rather than no one.

Imagine they tip the water bowl on the first day? (besides the fact that water goes funny after a day or two).
Or get stuck on a toy?

So much could go wrong with so much time alone. Best to have someone check in on them to change water and fill food bowls, or board them at the vet.
Ok thanks. You're right anything can go wrong.

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
I have had birds for 23 three years and not one of them has ever spent an overnight without me being with them or them being boarded at their vet's. Leaving birds alone overnight is no better than leaving a three year old human toddler alone.
Ok got it.

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
I think you should board them at the vet or have someone else watch them. Others have mentioned, if they tipped their food out, tipped the water dish, got caught in a toy, got caught in the cage door, cut themselves, injured themselves in a night fright, and so many freak accidents that could happen any moment. Not to mention the water gets nasty and unsafe after one day, It should be changed at least once a day and washed at least once a day, leaving it there for 4 days is just not an option.

Hope you find a solution!
Ok. Thankyou for you opinion. I'll look in my area.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I might also suggest that you bathe them before you go. No one mentioned loss of water due to extended bath-time. Uses up the water in a hurry, besides the dirt.
And whomever you have taking care of them, make sure you lay down the 'ground rules'. There was a comment couple of weeks ago, where someone had instructed the pet-sitter to NOT handle or let out the bird... and when they returned, found out otherwise. It REALLY helps to give thorough instructions and interactions in your presence [ie--let them really get to know the bird] before you leave.
Are the food and water bowls accessible from the outside? If they have to open and reach into the cage, will they know what to do if the bird escapes?
Sorry if the comments are making this sound so difficult... we are just aware of all the complications.

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
I might also suggest that you bathe them before you go. No one mentioned loss of water due to extended bath-time. Uses up the water in a hurry, besides the dirt.
And whomever you have taking care of them, make sure you lay down the 'ground rules'. There was a comment couple of weeks ago, where someone had instructed the pet-sitter to NOT handle or let out the bird... and when they returned, found out otherwise. It REALLY helps to give thorough instructions and interactions in your presence [ie--let them really get to know the bird] before you leave.
Are the food and water bowls accessible from the outside? If they have to open and reach into the cage, will they know what to do if the bird escapes?
Sorry if the comments are making this sound so difficult... we are just aware of all the complications.
Yes food and water bowl are accessible from outside. I recently bought them and they are afraid of coming out of cage. I talked to a friend for care and he already has budgies so he know all the ground rules and how to take care of birds.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
For the most part... birds will survive. Mine had to go thru some rough patches when my world changed... Always felt they and I were flexible enough to survive and flourish... and they did. But... since we hold them in captivity... WE are responsible. Just keep that in mind. :heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I would leave my bird alone and unsupervised once a month when I visited someone overnight. It was fine for 17 years, but on the 18th time I did, the cock Red Bellied Parrot decided he wanted to mate with my heartbird, Sunshine Senegal. He beat her up when I was not home. She hid in the trash can go get away from him. I got home and couldn't find her, looked "everywhere" and two hours after I got home, finally started going through the trash and found her, confused, weak, almost unresponsive and rushed her to the vet.
Where she seizure and died after four hours in their care. Never leave them alone for days at a time. Have someone to check every day. It could have saved my Sunny.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I AM SO SORRY... I understand the 17 years of it 'being OK'... because that can happen... The Senegals are SO EMOTIONAL, ...

Again... I am so sorry...

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
I would leave my bird alone and unsupervised once a month when I visited someone overnight. It was fine for 17 years, but on the 18th time I did, the cock Red Bellied Parrot decided he wanted to mate with my heartbird, Sunshine Senegal. He beat her up when I was not home. She hid in the trash can go get away from him. I got home and couldn't find her, looked "everywhere" and two hours after I got home, finally started going through the trash and found her, confused, weak, almost unresponsive and rushed her to the vet.
Where she seizure and died after four hours in their care. Never leave them alone for days at a time. Have someone to check every day. It could have saved my Sunny.
I'm sorry for your loss.