• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Strange Bird...

listerman3

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Crystal Listerman
Hello! My name is Crystal Listerman and I have three birdikins. My birds are: Kiki, a skyblue female parakeet, who I rescued from an abusive/neglectful situation; Bibi, a Cobalt blue male parakeet who we got to teach Kiki and her (now deceased) sister how to eat foods which are healthy for parakeets (Kiki's previous owners had her on wild bird seed); and Edgar, a defective Grackle.

I found Edgar last May in the middle of an intersection. He was only a nestling and couldn't stand up yet. There was no obvious nesting locations nearby, no parents looking for him, and plenty of stray cats. I took him home and called my vet who rehabs wild birds. She was out of town for a family emergency but told me to get some baby bird formula for hand raising parrots. I was to feed him every half an hour during daylight hours. Edgar had other plans. Instead of 7am-7pm as she suggested, he wanted food right up until 10 or 11pm, and he started in begging at 6am. I also supplemented with canned catfood, since he was a Grackle and they need lots of protein. He grew to full sized, but never grew all of his feathers. Then when he lost his baby feathers that he had, some of the adult feathers didn't grow in.

He is currently on an OTC treatment for plumage which may be helping. He now has Frida Kahlo eyebrows instead of a completely naked head.

He's never been able to fly because of his lack of wing feathers. But we take him outside to forage for bugs and things. His favorite is Grasshopper. If he catches a beetle, he cracks it open and eats the guts, but not the skin.

Picture! Yes, he is wearing a flightsuit.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Crystal! :starshower1:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your flock! :)

Edgar, you are a handsome dude! ;)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Petru

Moving in
Real Name
Petru
Hello! My name is Crystal Listerman and I have three birdikins. My birds are: Kiki, a skyblue female parakeet, who I rescued from an abusive/neglectful situation; Bibi, a Cobalt blue male parakeet who we got to teach Kiki and her (now deceased) sister how to eat foods which are healthy for parakeets (Kiki's previous owners had her on wild bird seed); and Edgar, a defective Grackle.

I found Edgar last May in the middle of an intersection. He was only a nestling and couldn't stand up yet. There was no obvious nesting locations nearby, no parents looking for him, and plenty of stray cats. I took him home and called my vet who rehabs wild birds. She was out of town for a family emergency but told me to get some baby bird formula for hand raising parrots. I was to feed him every half an hour during daylight hours. Edgar had other plans. Instead of 7am-7pm as she suggested, he wanted food right up until 10 or 11pm, and he started in begging at 6am. I also supplemented with canned catfood, since he was a Grackle and they need lots of protein. He grew to full sized, but never grew all of his feathers. Then when he lost his baby feathers that he had, some of the adult feathers didn't grow in.

He is currently on an OTC treatment for plumage which may be helping. He now has Frida Kahlo eyebrows instead of a completely naked head.

He's never been able to fly because of his lack of wing feathers. But we take him outside to forage for bugs and things. His favorite is Grasshopper. If he catches a beetle, he cracks it open and eats the guts, but not the skin.

Picture! Yes, he is wearing a flightsuit.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Welcome to the Avian Avenue, Crystal and flock! I love his Frida Kahlo eyebrows! Very cute! :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I look forward to learning more about your birds. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Welcome

So based on colors, your parakeets are budgies I asume, or?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome