• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A second macaw?

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Thank you John,

I didn't think so, but when in doubt, I try to ask.. and again, we are not doing it anytime soon. We have so much more to learn. I want to try clicker training in hopes to improve communication between myself and Koko. What I think I am communicating, may not be what i am according to her. And with thinking that she's experiencing this freedom for the first time, there is a lot on this table to examine. Her previous owner is amazed what all Koko does and can do now (besides laying an egg). She was with the previous owner for a year.

Actually for me, it is not so much clicker training as it is clicker communicating.

She seems to be out of her hormonal thing ~~ Yeah me!!! Been two weeks off her egg now.

We are looking forward to a bird show here in the next couple of weeks and will buy a bunch of new things for the walk in aviary for Koko to climb and play on. She has a swing and a cargo net, a few rattle balls, and of course the chew blocks so she can make confetti. She liked it the first day but since then has not been interested in going back in there. She will as long as she is on my shoulder. So I sit in there with her. I try to show her how exciting the things are. She tells me she already tried them. I should just had her the credit card and let her get on line.

sherri

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We are looking forward to a bird show here in the next couple of weeks and will buy a bunch of new things for the walk in aviary for Koko to climb and play on.
Be very careful what you buy. Nothing that isn't in a sealed package. Thoroughly sanitize anything you do buy. Do not come home and see your birds before you have changed all clothing and washed well. I hate to sound like a party pooper but bird marts aren't just dangerous they're also very sad. A meat market for backyard breeders. You'll make your own judgements.

Bird Marts by Ernie Colaizzi

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Thank you John,
that is not a party pooper, that is a good reminder. The good thing is, most bacteria and viruses do not live long on dry surfaces and are specie specific. So yes, we will wait a few days before using unless sealed, and to change our clothes I would not have thought of. We have not gone to a bird show in about 18 months, so excited to find new toys, climbing structure for the parrots. We are also going out to the acreage this weekend and hope to find fallen branches that we can brig home, strip, and sanitize to build structures with. Actually Larry will have to build, I can no longer use power tools and am not strong enough to do it by hand these days. Darn it.

I used to train dogs (and a few horses) way way back in the day, so my greatest concern is making sure I know who is training who with the parrots. Both are ok. And these guys have done so well coming here, and again, it is not because Larry and I are so smart. We are making errors and the parrots for take advantage of that, and to undo a bad behavior is harder than to prevent it in the first place, regardless if the behavior is the parrot or one of us. Thus I am thinking the clicker training will help me learn to communicate better. I get the impression you are not for clicker training/communication since you have not responded nor recommended a book. I have no need for a parrot to learn tricks and such, but I have a great need to communicate better. My reflexes and response time are so slow now. That was very handy when Rio the G2 came from a home where he learned to scream and bite because that was the only way he got any attention -- he was kept out in a breezeway between the house and garage and all were afraid of him and would jump and scream if he even looked at him. So the first week I spent offering seeds and bits of food, and when I had my back turned, he would fly to me and attack the back of my neck. My so slow response was great because he stopped within about two weeks. Rio did wonderfully after that until about a month back when he started biting Larry and you and others helped Larry with that. Rio has calmed down again. Yeah!

Yes, i am rambling. Larry and I do not work outside the home due to my disease, and amazingly, the house is quiet for the moment!! So chatter I will!! Me time!

Oh, back to clicker. Your thoughts on my thoughts wanting to do it?

sherri

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
when I had my back turned, he would fly to me and attack the back of my neck. My so slow response was great because he stopped within about two weeks.
Oh my goodness! I'm sorry he attacked your neck, but what a blessing in disguise that he stopped.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
This is just throwing this out there, we have much to do before considering getting a second macaw, but if we did, it would be from a rescue and many times those macaws come plucked or currently plucking with the warning that this is who they are. Now neither our B&G nor G2 pluck, so if we were to brink home a plucker, what are the chances that ours would begin to pluck as well?
sherri
Adding a new bird is typically desirable, birds are social flock creatures. It is more likely adding a bird will help reduce or possibly eliminate plucking* as this will help with boredom. *assuming the plucking is mental stimulation issue. I personally think all birds should be kept in pairs when possible. (not to breed)

I understand why you are asking, In training, there is an approach called Modeling or Model Training; social learning. Essentially, in a nutshell... Birdie see, Birdie do so to speak. Subject A is presented with an antecedent, Subject A performs the conditioned response, Subject A is rewarded. Subject B observes. Repeat. At some point, Subject B will learn the Behavior.

Since more than one of the components of the training protocol is not present, NO.

The long answer is extremely unlikely, you probably have a better chance of winning the Powerball lottery... even though I have never heard of, nor seen this scenario, in theory, I suppose it could be possible. I hesitate to say an absolute 100% NO, This answer will probably raise more than one eyebrow.

Let's look at plucking and the possible causes. (this is by no means a comprehensive list and is simply off the top of my head and many will not apply to you personally.

Medical issue - virus, bacteria, inflammation. Many medical issues will cause a bird to start to pluck. I would always consult an avian vet and test to rule out causes. I understand this can get expensive.

Lack of proper mental stimulation - Boredom. Add to the flock(2nd bird)... Offer lots of mental enrichment, Create foraging opportunities. Search YouTube for food foraging Ideas. There are many. Allow a lot of time out of the cage. Interact with your bird more...

You animal husbandry skills - clean environment goes to overall animal health.

Improperly raised babies with developmental issues - nervousness, lacking confidence and fearful.

Habitual and addiction. Dr. Michael Doolen explained to me that when a bird plucks or mutilates - a tiny amount of the hormone Epinephrine (adrenaline) is created and released by the bird's body and they can become addicted - plucking to create more.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Thank you Michael

Yes, my worry was monkey see monkey do, and I did not think there was a high risk of our bird choosing to follow in that pattern, but even though I used to be able to think things though better, my brain now fails and I need more help seeing flaws in my reasoning. Humans who self mutilate don't teach other humans either and they were not shown how to mutilate, they did so for their own reasons. However, with suicides, there seems to be a slight increase in suicidal risk in those around them.

From where our G2 and B&G came from, we are so amazed they did not pluck. They had every reason to pluck. No stimulation, poor husbandry, poor diets, no toys or interactions, etc. I also see wonderful parenting in others and birds will seem to pluck anyway. I would have assumed the rescue places would already have had skin and feather testing done, looking for bacteria and parasites, but I really should not assume.

This is all good news for whomever we choose to adopt from a rescue, because there are a lot of plucked birds and this opens up our home to such birds that other people may shy away from or find ugly. Me being a worrier, they may have to learn to wear a sweater. Or maybe they do just fine and I just need to be reassured they can control their body temp. I think for me, it would be better to pick out an appropriate scarlet over another B&G because my reflexes and eye sight as slow to recognize differences these days. And not being breeders, would sexes make a difference? I would think the birds individual personality would be the greatest factor and hopefully predictor that they would get along. But again, this is getting ahead of ourselves I believe, since we have a lot to learn before taking on more.

sherri

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Habitual and addiction. Dr. Michael Doolen explained to me that when a bird plucks or mutilates - a tiny amount of the hormone Epinephrine (adrenaline) is created and released by the bird's body and they can become addicted - plucking to create more.
I love Dr. "Doolittle". I've never met the man personally but admire him greatly. Incredible insight on many things.