• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A second macaw?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I can't quote from the Wild Thing contest because the thread is closed, but I had to repost this here. :embarassed: Taco would be quite the stud. :xflove:

Do you like pinenuts and tostada and getting caught in the rain?

Look no further!

I'm the macaw with the most and I know how to treat a discerning hen.

Do you love romantic lamplight dinners? Long walks across the kitchen? Enjoying the most decadent of grape juices next to the breathtaking scenery of the television? Dancing beneath the glow of fluorescent lighting?
I'm your avian!

Seeking a soulmate with an adventurous spirit, refined tastes and an affinity for humans with colourful hair. Must be family-oriented, with a good sense of humour and a hatred for mangoes, because I'll eat them all.

Take a taste of this Taco, and you'll never go back.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't quote from the Wild Thing contest because the thread is closed, but I had to repost this here. :embarassed: Taco would be quite the stud. :xflove:

Do you like pinenuts and tostada and getting caught in the rain?

Look no further!

I'm the macaw with the most and I know how to treat a discerning hen.

Do you love romantic lamplight dinners? Long walks across the kitchen? Enjoying the most decadent of grape juices next to the breathtaking scenery of the television? Dancing beneath the glow of fluorescent lighting?
I'm your avian!

Seeking a soulmate with an adventurous spirit, refined tastes and an affinity for humans with colourful hair. Must be family-oriented, with a good sense of humour and a hatred for mangoes, because I'll eat them all.

Take a taste of this Taco, and you'll never go back.

Who could resist his charms?!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
On the other hand, someone else has since reached out to me about a beautiful female B&G that she's been looking to rehome. She's seen my posts on AA and seems to think I'd be a good new home for her sweet, beautiful girl.

Yay! :excited1:I hope everything works out with that sweet girl and that Taco can get a friend. How exciting this is. :)

@hrafn, you and @faislaq are just too funny! :rofl:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't like making assumptions based solely on pictures, but this B&G just showed up on Kijiji and I...

Screenshot_20190314-205713.png

I mean, he looks pretty darn good for a 21 year old, but...that cage.....

Of course, it hasn't got anything on Taco's Kijiji ad:

Screenshot_20190314-210157.jpg

But I still get anxious seeing the cages these macaws are in.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
At least it's clean enough and he looks healthy.
Tru dat.

Hopefully he has plenty of toys and places to play, and gets out of his cage a lot. He looks to be a pretty well-loved bird.

I think I just see the worst possibilities where animal welfare is concerned. My pets all come from baaad places.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Don't freak out, I haven't done anything yet. :p

So, for all of my fellow mac enthusiasts with multiple birds, what do you think...would Taco benefit from the companionship of a second macaw?

I have the opportunity to potentially bring in another male B&G; a healthy, 14-year-old giant Bolivian beauty - pictures below. Obviously, since I'm absolutely insane, I'm in love with idea of bringing home another macaw; and I would never take in a bird (or any animal) just as a "companion" for an extant pet. I'm all in.

Of course, I completely understand that there's every chance Taco and a new macaw wouldn't even like each other, and could at worst despise one another. But Taco had a girlfriend in his last home, a female scarlet who he (reportedly) adored before she died, and I feel like there's a good chance that he's wild-caught based on his old owners boasting about importing parrots before it became illegal. I'm sure it feels lonely not to have that companionship when he was so used to it.

Throw your opinions at me! I'm ready for the barrage. :D

That's one beauty of a mac! Parrots are flock creatures, they'll get along fine. I was worried when I brought my blue front amazon home to my grey.....but you know, as odd as it is, they became best buddies preen each other, eat together, play together....they realize hey we're all one happy flock!

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
The bottom one looks like it is living in squalid conditions. It almost looks like a backroom or a garage someplace... there is a 5-gallon bucket and looks like doors leaning up against the wall. There is a dirty food area and no water that can be seen... it's disgusting. You should, in my opinion, rescue the one in more need.

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
The bottom one looks like it is living in squalid conditions. It almost looks like a backroom or a garage someplace... there is a 5-gallon bucket and looks like doors leaning up against the wall. There is a dirty food area and no water that can be seen... it's disgusting. You should, in my opinion, rescue the one in more need.
If I am correct then the bottom ad bird is Taco, her current B & G, before he was rescued!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird lived in a 19x19 table top cage his whole life. He was a Maxi Pionus. He was out any time anyone was home so it was a safety and sleep cage for him. He loved his home and defended it against all trespassers. Lurch got his cage after he left us and he came to live with us and he too loved his tiny home. When I got him a much larger cage he liked it but kept going back to hang out on his old house till I finally tore it down and stored it. Like said as long as they are out a lot and loved they adapt and like their home. Lurch was very cage aggressive and when he got the bigger house that mostly went away. I figure he hadn't claimed it yet plus he had more room to avoid the evil hands invading his space.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ohhh he’s beautiful. No where near the horrible situation our darling Taco was in....but you need a friend for TT and this one looks like he hopefully won’t take as much time effort or finance to get him as comfortable and happy as Taco now is. This bird would be a great option in my books as it will (hopefully/presumably) not take tons of time away from Taco (and the other babies) to get him cozy in his new home and will add enriching company to all. To me it’s a win win. The bird gets to have a better cage/home set up (might only be his sleep or travel cage?) and you get the friend you would like for Taco.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't see a clean cage and a well taken care of bird.
I see a small dirty cage and a parrot that really needs a beaktrim.
You know what to do Hrafn. :)

View attachment 298745 View attachment 298746
Oh boy, I didn't even notice that big honkin' beak! That thing's about to curl so far under it'll pierce his jugular. :eek:

Taco is capable of making that big of a mess in short order, so I don't want to automatically assume that his human has let it accumulate a lot, but I am pretty stuck on the lack of visible toys. Just hoping there's a lot more to that room outside of the small corner we can see.

The ad does mention that his human is suffering health-wise, so maybe that makes it harder for her to keep up with his daily care and enrichment needs. She is looking to give him a better life with a new family, so I'm trying not to judge her. She seems to have his best interests at heart, and wants to see him happy and fulfilled, so she gets a +1 for that.

In terms of bringing in a new mac, I'm still really interested in the female, Alex. I don't want to share her pictures without permission, so I'll tag @DoubleMac to the thread and she can share Alex's story if she wants to. :)

The difference is that it's easier to tell that Alex is well-loved and in a good place right now. I can't say the same about this boy, Spook. On the other end, though it seems crass to bring up, Spook is FAR more expensive, and my moneys outside of the emergency vet fund and the pet-exclusive fund (neither of which I'm willing to draw from for a new addition, since I don't consider it mine to spend) is pretty low after Morgan's highly expensive recent vet trip, the cremations of Panzer and Tiny 'Tiel, and having to feed myself and pay my bills. I'm just a wee little working class twenty-something living alone with a bunch of dependents.

Sorry, am I rambling? I'm rambling.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that I have the space, time, finances (via above specific funds), and dedication to look after a second mac once they get here, it's just the initial cost of adoption that's the barrier right now. Macaws aren't cheap, nor should they be.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
It is possible that pairing up your macaw could reduce or eliminate say picking... if the picking behaviors root cause was boredom. It is also possible it will have no effect.
This is just throwing this out there, we have much to do before considering getting a second macaw, but if we did, it would be from a rescue and many times those macaws come plucked or currently plucking with the warning that this is who they are. Now neither our B&G nor G2 pluck, so if we were to brink home a plucker, what are the chances that ours would begin to pluck as well?
sherri

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
the cremations of Panzer and Tiny 'Tiel
What?? I knew about sweet Tiny Tiel but I had no idea your gentle giant. :shakehead: They were both very fortunate to find their way to you.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I didn't read about Tiny Tiel! Oh noooooo! When did it happen?
I'm very sad now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is just throwing this out there, we have much to do before considering getting a second macaw, but if we did, it would be from a rescue and many times those macaws come plucked or currently plucking with the warning that this is who they are. Now neither our B&G nor G2 pluck, so if we were to brink home a plucker, what are the chances that ours would begin to pluck as well?
sherri

One has nothing to do with the other. This is purely situational. Any bird can start to pluck simply from the changed dynamic. But in your case there's a better chance that the new bird will stop plucking than your birds starting. This is all about husbandry.