• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Rocky Start, But We’re Finding Our Way

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
Hi everyone!

I’d first like to say this site and this community have helped me so much when I was researching getting a bird. I have always loved birds and have never been “owned” by one;). I’ve always had rodents such as pet rats and guinea pigs. I had my mind set on a parakeet, but the more I read the more that green cheek conures seemed to be a good option as well. I wasn’t in a rush to get a bird, and figured the right one would come along. And boy did it happen! I was visiting my local shop to get guinea pig food and walked down the avian area and saw this green parakeet and thought he looked cute, and then from below this pineapple conure came hopping over to get my attention. They took her out and let me hold her and she immediately fell asleep in the crook of my arm and I knew then there’s no way she’s not coming home with me.
Ive named her Ducky after seeing how she walks and makes little quack noises. It wasn’t the best start though. I have bad anxiety, and I became overwhelmed and incredibly anxious the first day having her home. Wondering if I could give her the home she deserved, if she’d be happy, if I made the right decision, etc etc. to the point where after 2 days I thought for sure I couldn’t handle this. There’s no way I can keep her my anxiety is too extreme. I had even reached out to my old high school agriculture teacher who has animals and other birds right in the classroom where I used to be, and asked if she’d take Ducky so that Ducky would have all the love and attention she deserved. She said she would be happy to give her a home. Then day 3 Ducky and I started to get in a groove. My anxiety went down a bit, and she made me laugh. When I thought about giving her away I got upset and knew I needed to stick this out awhile longer. I didn’t want to regret anything. We are on Day 6 and she’s currently snuggled up to me as I write this. My anxiety comes and goes and it’s a bit of a rollercoaster still, but I’m not ready to give up yet, she’s stolen my heart.
I hope this helps anyone else in a similar boat. I think it can be hard when you suffer from a lot of anxiety but just know you’re not alone and just take it day by day! I’m loving having her in my life and in such a short time she’s grown on me ❤ Thanks for listening everyone!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Welecometo the forum! Ducky sounds like such a lovely bird!

Can we see pictures please!?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Lindsey and Ducky! 1.welcome signs.gif

Wondering if I could give her the home she deserved, if she’d be happy, if I made the right decision, etc
You know, I think it really is a common thing to wonder about these things at some point or another. I know I have questioned whether some of my birds are happy, and I don´t suffer from anxiety. I just try to care for them the best I can now and not think too much into it :hug2:

This photo is precious! She looks so content there :)

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Yep, she definitely looked like she knew she found her new forever home! Absolutely gorgeous and adorable! :heart::heart::heart:

Fisheyy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristen
She is very very cute!! I can relate to wondering if they're happy and if I'm doing the right things for my birds too. I ended up getting 2 within the same month and as soon as I got the second one set up in her cage with food and water and toys I instantly had this feeling of, oh my, what am I doing?? But we're a few weeks in now and my GCC is currently walking around on my shoulder and playing with my hair while I type this :) She makes me smile all the time and it's extra rewarding now that I can see she's excited to see me in the morning.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Ducky is very cute. Sounds like she is very comfortable with you in her new home.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
She is very very cute!! I can relate to wondering if they're happy and if I'm doing the right things for my birds too. I ended up getting 2 within the same month and as soon as I got the second one set up in her cage with food and water and toys I instantly had this feeling of, oh my, what am I doing?? But we're a few weeks in now and my GCC is currently walking around on my shoulder and playing with my hair while I type this :) She makes me smile all the time and it's extra rewarding now that I can see she's excited to see me in the morning.
Thank you! I’m looking forward to us getting to know each other and become more comfortable!

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Congratulations!

First things first, and if you were nervous before, this will make you totally nuts.

How is his/her diet!?

The only anxiety I feel about my Amazon is making sure I’m providing proper food. With the proper attention...which you’re obviously giving yours...that bird is gonna be just fine.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:welave: :hiya:

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue!

I can relate. I also have pretty severe anxiety and have had those same feelings over pretty much all my birds.
When I got Zyda, my red-bellied parrot, I panicked about it so much I ended up asking the bird store to take her back. Thankfully, they didn't allow returns. Or maybe they just knew how much of a troublemaker she would be and wanted none of it. :lol:

I've had her for twelve years, now. It gets better.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hi: What a pretty, sweet face on your Ducky!! I get the anxiety! I've had my budgie boys for 4 years and still get anxiety about them, lol! I guess it's what being a parront is all about :) I'm still a bit new here, too, and AA has helped me tremendously! Welcome!

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
Congratulations!

First things first, and if you were nervous before, this will make you totally nuts.

How is his/her diet!?

The only anxiety I feel about my Amazon is making sure I’m providing proper food. With the proper attention...which you’re obviously giving yours...that bird is gonna be just fine.
Thank you! I am transitioning her to a pellet diet and getting away from the seed diet she was given before. She's accepting the pellets, but still loves her bit of seed. I am also offering her fruits/veggies, but she has not shown much interest yet. I'll keep trying :)