• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A rescue story of long ago.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Years ago I worked for humane society and then had a large animal rescue of my own for many years.Last night I got to thinking of one rescue we did that still makes me smile.
It all started with a saturday morning trip out to look for a horse for one of my riding students.I saw many many horses and alot of times had to harden my heart.I just couldnt take them all home.But I was always on the look out for a great school horse.They were so hard to find.The rescue and the riding stable were seperate.Many of the rescues we took in would never have a saddle on their backs again.So they lived out their lives just grazing and being groomed daily.The school horses were also pretty spoiled daily.
Anyway back to the story.We were on the hunt for a good horse for one of my little girls at the stable.The first and second visit didn't have what we needed.The third visit was to a huge riding place where they rented out horses for trail rides and etc.Not a likely place to find anything for her.We didn't.... for her.As we were getting ready to leave,I noticed this 12 hand paint pony pulling this huge carriage with 6 people.:( I inquired about the pony and was told BB would never leave their place.He was much needed for pulling the wagons and carts.I guess BB pretty much was harnessed all day long working....and sometimes into the night.Don't ask me how or why but that little BB stuck in my mind that day as we drove off.Might of been that weary litttle eye that looked into my heart.So when I got home I called the owner.He politely refused my offer on BB said he had been pulling people for over 12 years.He was very much needed there.i thanked him and went back the following week.I made a visit to thier establishment the following Saturday.I just couldnt get him out of my mind.I actually pretended to want to see other horses.None would work out for the stable..there coming up the road was BB with a full load.I kind of looked at owner and back at little BB.I told him what a wonderful home he would have being loved by 17 little girls everyday.that BB would be well taken care of for the rest of life.Long story short after much talking and sprinkling the charm on the owner... we ended up going back for the trailer...and bringing BB home that day.He never pulled any heavy loads after that.We had a red headed little freckled girl who fell in love with him....and he became hers.:)

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OH I so loved that story!!!
It's is great when something just "HITS" you...to me that is the ANGEL inside of us urging us on to help an animal or someone ....:heart::hug8:

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It's like it was meant to be! You have such a big heart :)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: Thanks BF and Aleu how time flies....but memories are still there.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beautiful story and a wonderful happy ending for all! Thanks for sharing!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwwwwnow I have tears in my eyes..bless your heart for making BB so happy...

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I loved that story, you are the best:hug8::hug8::hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:Thanks everyone

Status