• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A reminder why it's important to properly maintain outdoor bird feeders (medical images within)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
This is a case from a local wildlife rehabilitator...

http://instagr.am/p/Cae6GQ7rRBb/
Here's a resource with more details about the condition, and a recommendation for what you should do if you see a bird with conjunctivitis...

We encourage people to take down their feeders for at least a few days to encourage sick birds to disperse. While the feeders are down, clean them thoroughly. You can use a dishwasher on a hot setting, or wash them with soap and boiling water, a diluted bleach solution, or a weak vinegar solution (10%). Be sure to remove any build-ups of dirt around the food openings. Rinse the feeders thoroughly and let them dry completely before rehanging them. Also rake underneath the feeders to remove old seed and bird droppings. Be sure to continue to clean your feeders every week or so. If sick birds return, avoid using feeders with big ports that the birds can rub their heads against.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Good article. I have many bird feeders and clean them but never thought to clean up under them. Thanks for posting.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good article Steve

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Actually have all but my seut feeders down right now because I spotted a Goldfinch with conjunctivitis on Friday. :shifty:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Definitely a good thing to remember! Poor little guy. I would be so sad if my finches ended up like that! I have not been using F10 on my feeders when I clean them, but I think I will start adding that to my routine.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was the Goldfinch:
DSCN7929.JPG
:(
It's other eye was still clear at least.