• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Quick Question About Starting "Free-Flight" Time

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I have three budgies in my flock - Jersey, Manny, and Happy. Jersey and Happy are both flighted and I've been having great success with flight recall clicker training. Though when I try to bring them out and set them on my bed, they fly right back to their cage, and don't even want to be let out! How do I get my two flighted birds to see that being able to fly around in a budgie safe room is great and fun?
My other bird Manny has some sort of condition with his tail feathers, and I think it might be genetic, where they didn't grow in right as a chick, or they were damaged somehow, and they didn't fall out and regrow like his wing feathers did during his molt. Because of whatever that is, he's not physically able to fly, and I want to be able to include him in our free-flight time as soon as I get Jersey and Happy liking it. The problem is that Manny doesn't step up yet and is very against physical contact with me in every way. He's done it once or twice but not consistently. How do I get him to step up and see I'm not a monster? He also doesn't enjoy being out of the cage either.
Sorry if this is a lot to take in, and/or if it's posted in the wrong section!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Just to clarify, you mean flying indoors, correct? The only reason that I am asking, is because free flight refers to flying your birds outside with no harness, and the responses would be different if you are trying to get them to fly indoors.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Oh right! Yes I mean flying indoors, sorry about the confusion!

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Bumping this, because I still have no idea how to get my birds to enjoy time outside of the cage like just hanging out with me LOL :laugh::wacky:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John