• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A question on training

WikiThePed

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Wiktoria K.
im training my bird but the thing is she spends alot of time in the cage and doesnt play with many toys, would it be okay to force her out of the cage so she would get exercise and it would be easier to train? Its been a few months and shes been real slow and i dont want her to be stuck in the cage for a few more months until she is fully fine.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
What do you mean by “forcing”? Grabbing/chasing (chasing meaning putting your hand in the cage so she’ll fly from it therefore leaving the cage) isn’t ok, especially when they’re not tamed. You’ll just lose their trust.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
In parrot training, patience is a virtue. It is generally better to allow the bird to progress at their own pace, rather than trying to force improvement or push them into situations that make them uncomfortable. That can lead to setbacks and loss of trust.

Can you tell us a little more about your bird and what you have tried so far? Maybe we can offer some alternatives.

WikiThePed

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Wiktoria K.
What do you mean by “forcing”? Grabbing/chasing (chasing meaning putting your hand in the cage so she’ll fly from it therefore leaving the cage) isn’t ok, especially when they’re not tamed. You’ll just lose their trust.
Not anything thats a bit violent, like holding on to their feet or pulling them out when they are perching.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
How do you get her out of the cage when she doesn't want to come out?

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I would not.

With my Amazon Pi, she was super cage attached and I DID force her to come out BUT she stepped up. She would typically fly back to her cage ASAP but I started taking her out and moving to a different room without her cage. She is no longer cage attached and prefers to come where ever. But I would not have forced if she was not at the very least stepping onto my hand or a perch willfully.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Leave the cage door open, place millet in her sight line, and be patient.

Never ever ever force a bird out of its cage, which is their safe spot, unless it is an emergency.