• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A post for Isadora and her shenanigans

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Paper rope is only good for the little birds or light chewers unless you want your toy parts on the floor lmao.
Burt loves to cut through it and so does Birdie so they get knots of it added to toys for material variety but I would not hang a toy with it lol.
Stick with SS wire or chain or if you are lucky you may even be ok with poly rope- Burt loves to destroy the poly rope but he does not always attack it straight away and Birdie is the same.

I honestly suggest you get rid of them pear clips and use the safer larger quick links, I am concerned whenever I see them given to larger birds- they are not safe as they can easily be bent but worse still they are small enough to easily pierce through your birds skin if a slip should occur while it is being destroyed- I have seen pics of them lodged through various places around the beak on a few birds.
This particular toy isn't in her cage - it's on the outside for when I'm with her in the bird room. The rest of the toys have the big quick links, this was just an extra one I had from a previous toy.

And blame @Mizzely for the paper rope :roflmao: she sent it to me lnfao. It works out though,I also got a skewer so these pieces can just go on that as she destroys it.

I was just blown watching her snip it though. Literally one quick clip with her beak and that was it. Just wild to see :wideyed:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't have anything super strong for rope as most of my customers don't need it :lol: it's an investment to get into chain and wire!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don't have anything super strong for rope as most of my customers don't need it :lol: it's an investment to get into chain and wire!
I read that as "chain and wine" at first and was like "i totally understand where you're coming from, I too need to invest in wine"

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I honestly suggest you get rid of them pear clips and use the safer larger quick links, I am concerned whenever I see them given to larger birds- they are not safe as they can easily be bent but worse still they are small enough to easily pierce through your birds skin if a slip should occur while it is being destroyed- I have seen pics of them lodged through various places around the beak on a few birds.
I just realized what a pear clip is I think :facepalm: this isn't a pear clip, it's a skinny quick link. A pear clip is what you'd see on something like a lanyard if I'm thinking of the right thing?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just realized what a pear clip is I think :facepalm: this isn't a pear clip, it's a skinny quick link. A pear clip is what you'd see on something like a lanyard if I'm thinking of the right thing?
This is considered a pear shaped quick link :)

The other kind are oval shaped quick links.

The lanyard clips are called lanyard clips as far as I know :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Everywhere I buy quicklinks here those are called pear clips or pear links- I do not think I have heard of them being called anything else. Sorry if I confused you lol- I know of the lanyard clips as being called a few different things and of course there is more than one sort of clip used on them, the names I know of them by is lanyard clips, snap clip or hooks and dog clips. There are many names used for the same types of hooks depending on the company selling them and the term most used by regular users of them clips.

The only clips I believe that are safe for parrots (especially the large parrots) are the quick links (not pear ones) or the EH hook and ball hangers.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depending on the bird, the pear links are fine. I have been using them a decade without issues

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
After seeing pear clips pierced though many birds I personally would not use or recommend them for any birds that were not budgies or tiels. Each to ones own but there are definitely safer clips available- the pear links are too easy to open and too skinny to be safe for many birds.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
My son found some gardening gloves. Did you know they're terrifying?

I didn't, until tonight :roflmao: it honestly took me a second to figure out what the problem was initially, because he was across the room - a good ten feet away!

Attachments

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Might as well be :roflmao: She's got a million new pin feathers coming in and we spent an hour this morning opening a bunch up. I've got that on my lap and my shirt looks like someone threw a bag of flour at me
Love her :heart:

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Just caught up on this whole thread. What fun!!!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My son found some gardening gloves. Did you know they're terrifying?

I didn't, until tonight :roflmao: it honestly took me a second to figure out what the problem was initially, because he was across the room - a good ten feet away!
Of course gloves are terrifying, Inca knows that :lol: