• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A post for Isadora and her shenanigans

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great news! I am so happy for you both!! :heart:

Lol, I saw the skin and feather changes with Birdie- his first molt terrified me, I was certain he was gonna end up naked but his second molt shocked me even more than the first- I am pretty sure he has swapped out every single feather at least once on his body in two huge molts over the year I have had him. I have panicked a few times when I have opened his aviary door in the morning to find four flight feathers that were not there the night before, I honestly thought more than once he had started plucking and my heart sank till I checked the tips of the dropped feathers. He also was a tad dusty when he got here (not as much as I remembered from other cockies) but nothing on what he is like now- I am amazed at the dust that bird produces!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Great news! I am so happy for you both!! :heart:

Lol, I saw the skin and feather changes with Birdie- his first molt terrified me, I was certain he was gonna end up naked but his second molt shocked me even more than the first- I am pretty sure he has swapped out every single feather at least once on his body in two huge molts over the year I have had him. I have panicked a few times when I have opened his aviary door in the morning to find four flight feathers that were not there the night before, I honestly thought more than once he had started plucking and my heart sank till I checked the tips of the dropped feathers. He also was a tad dusty when he got here (not as much as I remembered from other cockies) but nothing on what he is like now- I am amazed at the dust that bird produces!
I’m both looking forward to and dreading her first molt. I’m sure I’ll have a heart attack at the first feathers I see :roflmao:

As of right now, Tteok is WAY dustier than she is, which is wild given the size difference. But, she’s also accepted a bath, whereas Tteok and I have to have an argument every single time I’ve tried to get him wet.

The vet did say her shoulder feathers/barbering might have been from her diet, boredom, or self soothing (like sucking a thumb), but that it doesn’t look like something to be concerned about when I showed him photos of when I first got her. It really is looking better, it’s just hard to see the difference sometimes because I look at her every day.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Occasionally she does something so weirdly intelligent that it’s creepy :roflmao:

I have a bandaid on my finger, on the tip. I ripped my nail off halfway up my nail bed :banghead: I put it on before going to get her out this morning, and the first thing she does is grab my finger with her foot and pull it up to her face to investigate it. She turned my hand every which way to look at it - and the kissed it. She kissed my boo boo.

I don’t think I could own a more intelligent species, like a grey. She’s already walking into Uncanny Valley territory as it is o_O

(For anyone unfamiliar with the Uncanny Valley theory )

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That’s is so sweet. Their intelligence is really striking. :heart:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Striking. Sure.

Or ya know.

Plotting world domination…
:rofl: Can my bird join her? He may not be as bright but definitely has the same ambitions!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don’t know if I’ve mentioned, but Isadora’s previous owners had large dogs - German shepherd mixes. They let the birds and dogs interact frequently.

Since being here, she’s not seen the dogs except for when they’re separated by her cage (ie: she’s put up, and they’re in the room).

Today however, she got an inadvertent meeting of the chihuahua/gremlin mix (I don’t know what she is, some sort of chi/pug/dobby the house elf/spare parts concoction). I was in the bird room with Tteok and Isadora out, and Isadora is finally venturing to explore the floor. Apparently I had not fully shut the door and Gidget wandered in.

They see each other and both halt. Gidget gives her a wide berth to come around to me, and Isadora turns in one spot to follow her path. Gidget lays down. Isadora walks allllllll the way around her, and so slowly lift a foot to touch her tail.

I say “Ahht. Don’t do it.” She looks at me, and lifts her foot again. “Isadora. Don’t do it.” Foot down. Foot up.

At this point Gidget realizes there’s a pterodactyl behind her and runs out of the room like her butts on fire, and I shut the door fully.

And Isadora starts having a tantrum about her lost friend :meh:

(This is the only time there’s been an interaction outside of the cage, it was not recorded because I was watching the situation closely - there was no risk of them touching due to where I was situated vs where they were situated.)

This is the gremlin, Gidget

Attachments

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I don’t know if I’ve mentioned, but Isadora’s previous owners had large dogs - German shepherd mixes. They let the birds and dogs interact frequently.

Since being here, she’s not seen the dogs except for when they’re separated by her cage (ie: she’s put up, and they’re in the room).

Today however, she got an inadvertent meeting of the chihuahua/gremlin mix (I don’t know what she is, some sort of chi/pug/dobby the house elf/spare parts concoction). I was in the bird room with Tteok and Isadora out, and Isadora is finally venturing to explore the floor. Apparently I had not fully shut the door and Gidget wandered in.

They see each other and both halt. Gidget gives her a wide berth to come around to me, and Isadora turns in one spot to follow her path. Gidget lays down. Isadora walks allllllll the way around her, and so slowly lift a foot to touch her tail.

I say “Ahht. Don’t do it.” She looks at me, and lifts her foot again. “Isadora. Don’t do it.” Foot down. Foot up.

At this point Gidget realizes there’s a pterodactyl behind her and runs out of the room like her butts on fire, and I shut the door fully.

And Isadora starts having a tantrum about her lost friend :meh:

(This is the only time there’s been an interaction outside of the cage, it was not recorded because I was watching the situation closely - there was no risk of them touching due to where I was situated vs where they were situated.)

This is the gremlin, Gidget
Fetch back the dog women :rofl: Dora near enough bigger than your dog isn’t she bet he poo his pants

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Very cute doggo!
2s abd their feet, want to grab or tap everything!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You think you've got nerves of steel when it comes to a bird. You'll play with her beak, be willing to take a bite, show no fear, etc.

And then that bird TRIES TO GROOM YOUR EYELASHES.

My nerves of steel failed me. I may have squealed like a 4 year old at a centipede.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
You think you've got nerves of steel when it comes to a bird. You'll play with her beak, be willing to take a bite, show no fear, etc.

And then that bird TRIES TO GROOM YOUR EYELASHES.

My nerves of steel failed me. I may have squealed like a 4 year old at a centipede.
I hope you eyelashes are still intact :rofl:

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
Oh my goodness! Both my 'tiels try to groom my lashes, and occasionally they'll miss and get my eyelid. It hurts! I would be terrified if a larger bird tried to groom my lashes!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Colorful bandaids are apparently the devil, I've just learned :roflmao:

I put a Paw Patrol bandaid on my pinky. It's blue and has one of the characters on it. Isadora won't let me touch her and keeps hissing at my hand :rolleyes: lord help me if I get a haircut.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Colorful bandaids are apparently the devil, I've just learned :roflmao:

I put a Paw Patrol bandaid on my pinky. It's blue and has one of the characters on it. Isadora won't let me touch her and keeps hissing at my hand :rolleyes: lord help me if I get a haircut.
Or change colour of your hair :lol: