• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A parrot with a droopy eye.. Any ideas?

sushi

Moving in
Hi everyone;). It has been a while. Hope everyone is doing well :joyful:.

So I recently adopted a female gcc who needed to be rehomed. She is a small gcc (63g) and she came to me quite weak in strength with her right eye really droopy.

Alleged history:
1. She was born with the condition.
2. She is 1 and 1/2 years old.
3. She went to a vet before and they found nothing wrong with her physically.
4. She also seems healthy to me. She eats, drinks, poops normally and she is active. Just that her grips are a little weak.

Progress so far:
1. Brought her to my vet for a physical checkup. Everything seems fine with her heart, her lungs as well as the blood test result.
2. Applied antibiotic gel on her droopy eye for a week. No improvement.

Here are 2 photos of her.
WechatIMG93.jpeg WechatIMG92.jpeg

Has anyone encountered this before and what was the solution o_O?

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
what dud vet think caused?
It kind looks like lower lid was ( possibly) torn away from eye at some point....or she was born that way as shady folks claimed?

Can she close lid when sleeps?

I don't like weak grip. What dud vet say about that?

Anyway so glad she us with you getting the best care now! Little cutie

sushi

Moving in
So far the vet is not sure about the cause but she is trying to rule things out one by one. Tomorrow Happy (her name) is getting a different type of antibiotics and a psittacosis test. Will keep this post updated:pinklol3:.
I do see improvement with her grip tho which is yay! Just today she was able to go upside down in her cage:bliss:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Sounds like a good veterinarian!
Awesome that grip has improved!
Go Happy!

sushi

Moving in
Hi everyone, just a quick update on Happy's condition.

After a lengthy pursuit of a cure (psittacosis - negative; eye swab culture - clean; blood panel - normal; 2 different antibiotics - ineffective; surgical option - negative) , we've accepted that Happy's droopy eye was the result of some blunt trauma on the muscle/nerve around her eye area and she is going to live with a little droopiness in her right eye for the rest of her life. Good news is she is healthy, happy and one hell of a bird!