• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A nine hour roadtrip? Help!

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
Hi! :laugh:
It’s been a really long time since I last posted but I’m glad to be back! I hope you guys can help me with my upcoming trip.

This summer I will most likely be moving to Sweden to move in with my SO. As a parront, I cannot leave my fids behind. My SO and I have been trying to find a way to get them to his place. Putting them on a plane is not an option and I would be scared to put them in the back of a moving truck! :scared3: So we concluded the best available option is for us to drive them to Sweden. By driving them I will be able to keep an eye on them and help them if there’s something wrong.

The problem is that I currently live in The Netherlands. This makes the trip from my location to his 8 hours and 51 minutes. I want to do this if this means they get to be with me. It would break my heart to have to give them away. :sad3:

I know lots of you in the US take long trips because the US is so massive and avian vets are most of the time not as close as you’d want them to be. That’s why I am making this post to reach people that have experience taking birds on long car rides.

For context: I am parront to three budgies all approximately 2 years old. The picture attached is the cage I have for them currently. (I will provide the dimensions if needed, just don’t have them at hand right now).

I want to make sure I don’t stress them out too much or make them feel unsafe.
So my questions are:
Is this long of a drive possible?
Should I get travel cages and if so, how many?
Should we make stops and if so, how many?
Does it help to put a blanket over their cage when driving?
Are there any easier/safer ways to get them there?
Anything else I should think of?

Thank you so much for reading my post, I hope some of you can help me help my birds have a safe trip.:grouphug2:

Attachments

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
I'd say that this is possible.I took my U2 and YCA on a road trip to Malaysia that took me 3 days ( I was in my car and practically lived in there),running around grasslands and stuff.They were fine.And if birds that big could accept being in their cage,I'd say that budgies can do it too.That is a bid cage.Remove the stand if possible and if the trip is going to be noisy,bring a blanket but in my opinion,that is not needed.
You don't need travel cages since you are moving in there and as long as their current cage fits,you don't need them.
Stops are alright,won't harm your birds in anyway possible too.Just stop when you need to eat/refill care fuel/toilet breaks/etc.Try to make 3-4 stops in that journey.This is a safe way as long as the roads are safe and you are cautious.You won't stress them too.In fact you COULD stress them or make them feel unsafe if they were put into an unknown space ( travel cage) or separated.More over cars drive on a constant altitude unlike planes and their speed is also not as overwhelming as trains.
Just make sure to keep an eye on them and have a safe journey.When you hear them scream or think that there is something wrong,stop the car slowly to be safe and not to scare your birds more.Hope that you and your birds will have a pleasant journey!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Absolutely possible.
We'd make 3 hr trips on weekends to visit my parents and then moved 12 and 32 hours drive away and still drove home for visits.

Budgies travel especially well.
They don't really mind being in a travel cage as they are so small and love having you sit so close and pay attention to them for a long time.
they can be in the same travel cage if they are normally housed together, but if any chance of squabbles use separate cages.

Definitely do a few practice drives to see how they do in the car and cage situations.
I'd say a trip that long would only need 1 or two stops. More for your benefit than theirs.
Any stops for you to eat/bathroom/gas:.... NEVER leave them in the car alone. Eat at drive-throughs like McDonalds.

A towel or blanket should be handy to throw over the cage to protect from hot sun shining on them or AC drafts, also scary big trucks and the like.
NO hanging toys to crash into them, millet spray and some moist foods like damp greens or whatever they'll eat to provide liquids.

be sure doors/feeder doors are tied shut and any parts of cage that could come apart from each other are secured together with more ties. and beware of any grates that could slide out and let them out that way.

They will do fine. Don't stress about it. Do a few short practice runs and you'll see they will be OK.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your planned trip is totally doable with your budgies!

I travel often with my bird and these suggestions are some things that I do and would recommend.

I feel there everyday cage, while wonderful, is too big for travel. I would get them used to a smaller travel cage that you can secure in the vehicle with a seat belt. You only need one cage if they normally live together. Choose one where you can refill dishes with out opening doors. Secure the cage seams and all openings with extra clips. If you do have to open the cage doors before they arrive safely to the inside of their new home, be sure to have all window and doors closed in your vehicle. Secure any soft toys at the top and bottom so nothing swings to hit them during the movement of the vehicle. I use soft toys at the side of the perch so they can grab and hold onto them if the movement of the vehicle jostles them too much. I also prefer to use a soft perch for travel, easier to grip and easier on their feet.

Bring along a blanket or sheet for covering if need be. You never know how the sun will shine into the vehicle or they may be bothered by the movement of passer bys. Offer fruits such as orange wedges and grapes that will help to keep them hydrated. You can offer drinks of water when you stop. I stop periodically to give a travel break for uninterupted snacking and drinking. Try to plan your travel time to leave after they have eaten their breakfast at home and arrive at your destination before they need to eat their dinner in the evening. Don't leave them unattended when you travel. Only one person at a time leaving the vehicle. Be aware of the temperature inside the vehicle at all times. I travel with a thermometer right near the cage.

Have fun!