• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A new young lovebird - need help

ioniemeow

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ionie
I got a new lovebird two days ago, the breeder said it was around 6 weeks, and that I could feed it pellets. It eats very well, but I'm wondering if these pellets are enough for it. I tried giving it powdered milk (for birds) but it doesn't seem to like it. I have another old lovebird, but I am waiting for this bird to become older until I place them together.
1) Are the pellets suitable for this young bird?
2) Do you think this bird is 6 weeks old? Neck region and beneath wing has little feathers
3) How many hours should baby lovebirds sleep? I find mine napping a lot. It sometimes closes one eye only; is this okay?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Ionie! :starshower1:

1) Are the pellets suitable for this young bird?
2) Do you think this bird is 6 weeks old? Neck region and beneath wing has little feathers
3) How many hours should baby lovebirds sleep? I find mine napping a lot. It sometimes closes one eye only; is this okay?
1. Yes those are OK if your bird is eating them. If your little one does not eat them, try another brand, it helps to feed the same as the breeder did. You can also feed a spoonful of seed mix, and even some millet on the sprig as other dry foods. On top of that, a table spoon of chopped veggies or mashed veggies.
2. Yes that sounds about right. I posted a picture guide if you would like to have a look, Pictures - (Roseicollis/Peach faced) White faced Lovebird growth
3. Yes, your bird is still very young. Frequent napping after eating and even the one eye thing is common. Here was my little one at 6.5 weeks old: https://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/when-you-soooo-sleepy.239471/

Another note, be sure to keep your birds separate (in different rooms, with hand washing between handling both birds) for at least a month while you run basic tests at the vet to be sure the chick is in good health.

Last edited:

ioniemeow

Real Name
Ionie
Welcome to the Avenue Ionie! :starshower1:

1. Yes those are OK if your bird is eating them. If your little one does not eat them, try another brand, it helps to feed the same as the breeder did. You can also feed a spoonful of seed mix, and even some millet on the sprig as other dry foods. On top of that, a table spoon of chopped veggies or mashed veggies.
2. Yes that sounds about right. I posted a picture guide if you would like to have a look, Pictures - (Roseicollis/Peach faced) White faced Lovebird growth
3. Yes, your bird is still very young. Frequent napping after eating and even the one eye thing is common. Here was my little one at 6.5 weeks old: https://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/when-you-soooo-sleepy.239471/

Another note, be sure to keep your birds separate (in different rooms, with hand washing between handling both birds) for at least a month while you run basic tests at the vet to be sure the chick is in good health.
Thank you very much for your reply, I've had trouble finding answers on the web. Could you list some vegetables or fruits that your birdies love? Should I be providing it with soft bedding for the legs or is it okay to just use paper? Any other tips?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could you list some vegetables or fruits that your birdies love?
My little ones each have their favourites. Some like strawberry greens, others like peppers, others like peas, sweetcorn, broccoli. You will have to try a little of everything and see what your bird will eat. Don´t write something off if your bird doesn´t eat it once, try a few times.
This is a great article listing healthy foods, how to prepare them. It is to make a ¨chop¨, but you can use it as a guide to know which veg/fruit to offer, you don´t have to make an elaborate mix, that is optional :)

Should I be providing it with soft bedding for the legs or is it okay to just use paper? Any other tips?
You can put your bird in a cage. Just be sure your home is warm. Start by putting the perches a little lower, then move them up as they settle in. You can line the cage with a non pilling fleece blanket to soften any falls.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes all the Zupreem sizes in a flavor are the same ingredients :)

ioniemeow

Real Name
Ionie
Yes all the Zupreem sizes in a flavor are the same ingredients :)
Hello Mizzley, could
you check out the video linked below snd see if this is tail bobbing?
Yesterday, her nostrils were a little wet, but not today. I heard two sneezes today while she was sleeping like that in the video. I'm not sure if I should take her to the vet, because she is so young.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The tail moving in your video is your bird breathing.
When bringing home a new bird it is ideal to visit a vet and get them checked out to be sure they are healthy.