• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A new skill?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Expert tail-maker Sydney has been offering demonstrations on how to nest, however I'm not sure Adélie is learning much.... She is instead following in her fathers footsteps by following the other around and pulling out all the stored paper.

*For anyone who doesn't know my birds, to clarify Sydney is the yellow lovie and my little hen Adélie is the blue one. Sydney has not been sexed, my vet assures me that some males just know the art of tail making without being shown by a hen.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That is precious! Sydney is so industrious in creating "tail"...and Adelie is just as industrious in removing said tail...:)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
:lol:oh Adélie! Maybe they'll have an unconventional relationship :heart: Are they sharing a cage now?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are they sharing a cage now?
No. The door is open.
I think Sydney likes it in there. He likes her townhouse, he likes that theres no grid and so he can shred paper and try to make a tail, and he likes digging in to her food. He is unsure of the stuffed toys in there.

Adelies dad follows Aldora around picking out the material from her rump. Funny that Ade does the same :)

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Love the video! So cute!

Out of curiousity, is tail making just a love bird habit? I don't think I've seen other species do it.

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
Love the video! So cute!

Out of curiousity, is tail making just a love bird habit? I don't think I've seen other species do it.
Its an all lovebird trait I'm pretty sure, especially females. But like Zara said males sometimes do it as well.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You are almost correct. Only the Roseicollis (peach faced) lovebird will do this. Other species of lovebird carry material in their beaks.

I'm pretty sure, especially females. But like Zara said males sometimes do it as well.
Yes it is usually females that do it to take material to the nest. My Jaime used to try to do it as a young bird but could never get the hang, like most males. However since meeting Aldora he has learned from her how to do it.

I don´t know how Sydney knows how to do it if he is male. It must just come from within.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Adelie says you look ridiculous Sidney. Let me help you.