• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A new food, maybe?

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
So, I was searching for diet enrichment for my newest bird IRN Jade and was directed to a product called avian tea.

So. Long story short I ordered one of the food bags from them as part of a subscription deal. I recieved stress calm and inflammation calm, 10 oz each. The second was a surprise for me. So anyway I opened the bags and both smell really good.

My question is, have any of you had any experience with this brand?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are a few Avian tea brands, does it say what one it is?

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
There are a few Avian tea brands, does it say what one it is?
Nope. It's company header is AvianTea.com and the package claims to be usda organic. I can share a pic or even link to the website. They are on facebook.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
The thing is, I'm not sure if this is a really, new company and legit group or if I got scammed. So, the only thing I can do is share what's happening and hope someone else had dealings with them.

Maggiebird

Real Name
Sally
I’ve never had this brand. I wouldn’t use it if your not completely sure it’s safe. Also does it show the ingredients on the back? You might be able to tell if it is or not.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
All ingredients are on the website, but nothing on the bags. I'm cross checking with some other groups/forums as well. One of my groups has several avian rescues linked to it as well as vets and rehabbers.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Well, I followed directions and cooked the product up in my instant pot. Well, it's got sprouts. Tons of them. Aside from that there are some other common foods in there.

Maggiebird

Real Name
Sally
It should be safe then if if avian vets, rescuers, and rehabbers are using it!! Also sprouts are a good sign so my guess is it’s safe.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
All but one of my birds made the yuck face. Lol. Smells good. Aside from that it seems okay. They'll be getting this in the morning as well as their pellets. And then chop cookies in the afternoon.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not interested in any food that shames pellet usage lol. They call pellets dog food on their Facebook. As a part of the diet it's likely fine but I wouldn't feed it as a complete diet like they suggest.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I followed directions and cooked the product up in my instant pot. Well, it's got sprouts. Tons of them. Aside from that there are some other common foods in there.
What are the cooking instructions? Sprouts! You mentioned no ingredients listed on the packaging and I didn’t see sprouts listed on the ingredients on the website. Are there reviews on the site? I don’t do Facebook. Has anyone seen anything on there about this food?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What are the cooking instructions? Sprouts! You mentioned no ingredients listed on the packaging and I didn’t see sprouts listed on the ingredients on the website. Are there reviews on the site? I don’t do Facebook. Has anyone seen anything on there about this food?
It's quite new... The FB page was only made in May of this year and only has one review. It looks like they've been mostly doing teas until August when they updated the page to include Food.

They make a big deal about how each species has unique dietary needs, but then go on to say that "AvianTea. com is a COMPLETE, WHOLE FOOD diet, so you can throw your pellets away" - but they don't have species specific diets. :chin:

They also say "Herb based products cannot hurt your birds and any excess is simply flushed from their bodies."

Their teas do not list their ingredients, and are included in every food, so there is no way for me to know fully what I'd be giving my bird. Not only that, but some herbs interact badly with medications... To say herbs are harmless is very worrisome.

I would not feed this food. Maybe I'm too cautious but after the last New Food debacle, I'll be sticking with foods that are more transparent, and have less flashy claims.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would not feed this food. Maybe I'm too cautious but after the last New Food debacle, I'll be sticking with foods that are more transparent, and have less flashy claims.
I did notice an awful lot of mis-information and the species specific diets that are the same across the species too. o_O

I'm with you!