• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A New Cage!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's normal for a bird to take time to get used to a new cage. @SumitaSinh faced a similar problem with her amazon a while back, I believe.

Have you tried using a t-stand? They often aren't as large as dowels, but have a similar concept.

Also, if he bites the dowel, would he bite at the target stick if you put it between the cage bars nearest him? Although I'd recommend desensitizing him from the target stick first.
What material is your target stick? My cockatiel prefers small chop sticks.

Worst case scenario, you have to use a towel to transfer him to the new cage.

I'll tag some more experienced 'tiel folks.
@Tiel Feathers @Sunni Tiel @sunnysmom @JewellBird
Will you please advice me on my thread in toy and cage dept ... I don't know how to copy the thread title

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Will you please advice me on my thread in toy and cage dept ... I don't know how to copy the thread title
This one?

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This one?
Yes, thank you

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
yup! he's a little on the shy side for toys but we'll get there. (reply to zara)

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
So...unfortunately, sunflower isn't behaving any different. Still the old "going to squat in one spot all day, not touch the toys you made, and scream" kind of thing. Here are the list of things I've tried so far.
New Cage: no change
Target training: no reaction to target stick
Step up: hates dowel+finger
Clicker training: doesn't work
Leave cage door open: doesn't come out
Change diet: doesn't eat it
Lure with treats: no reaction

obviously it's not his fault as he came from an awful pet store in a tiny cage with only seeds, no toys, one perch, and he had to share it with another bird. i was thinking of getting sunflower a buddy, perhaps another cockatiel to keep him company. I could get a more energetic, tame cockatiel to have him learn that playing with toys is fun, hands are okay, and outside of the cage is safe. does this sound okay? obviously i need to do TONS more reasearch before finalizing my descison so I don't impulsively get another one (sunflower was semi-impulse bought, did some reasearch but not enough), would loove to hear your feedback!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
okay so he kid of g e n t l y touched the toy with his tougne, even put 1 claw(? talon?) onto the rope toy so ill just wait, see what he does, and if needed, ill buy him a new bird.