• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A new cage

SilverSoo

Moving in
We just got this new bigger cage for Jamie and Mango & Tweety. We have them separated for now to see if they get along.

20210221_123625.jpg

Something I've been told about is that cockatiels are friends with every kind of bird, is that true? I don't want Mango & Tweety ganging up on Jaime because they can get very aggressive sometimes, to the point of having to separate those 2.

Jaime now has almost 3 months, and its been a pretty chill bird, with the lovebirds and my chihuahua, I guess he can be friendly to them so they can all be together without the separation, but time will tell I guess.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would never house your cockatiel with your other birds. Even if your cockatiel is friendly, it doesn’t mean the other two are, especially if they area a pair. Having supervised out of cage time together might be okay. I would just use newspaper in the cage bottom and not the shavings. Are you planning on getting different types of perches? Those dowel perches are bad for your birds feet. When you get more toys, cockatiels like shreddable toys like balsa, sola, paper, palm, sea grass, etc. Make sure you keep your dog well away from their cage, and put him/her in another room when your birds are out.

Reactions: tka

SilverSoo

Moving in
Those perches are bad for them? I had no idea, those came with the cage but we are planning on getting more tree like perches for them, and the shavings are a temp thing. It has newspaper under it.
Over time we'll get more toys for him, I'll look for those kind of toys.
And the dog has his own space, he doesn't go out of it at all, only when its walking time. The only time they see eachother is when I take Jaime out and into the cage.

I think theres a lot I still need to learn about cockatiels. Maybe birds in general, last time I had one of my own were some budgies, the lovebirds are my mother's so I don't have much say on them. I'll see what I can get them as soon as I can.
Thanks for all the feedback :)

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Even if the cockatiel got along, the lovebirds won't. Housing them together can lead to severe injury and death.
Definitely get natural wood perches, it provides exercise and helps prevent arthritis and bumblefoot.
I don't see a single toy in either cage, the cockatiel needs shredding and foraging toys like these,
Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 1.54.25 PM.png Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 1.53.53 PM.png Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 1.54.45 PM.png
My cockatiel especially loves this one,
Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 2.01.03 PM.png
There are hundreds of different toy options, these are just some.
You also might consider adding platform perches to rest the bird's feet, rope perches are comfortable for them, too. Just make sure you take the rope perches out if you see any fraying or loose threads. They can be dangerous.