• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Long Goodbye.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I haven't been on for a long time but maybe some of you will remember the rough way Cricket arrived at my home and into my heart. He was a terrific talker (and champion peekabooer) but stayed a fear biter and was always cage aggressive . We sang together(especially the Quaker song) but sadly I did not handle him as much as I should have. Still, he was a happy, healthy little Quaker and was quite a talker with over 200 words and phrases---always in context.
About 8 months ago, I realized he wasn't as energetic, something was off. I rushed him to the avian vet--his white count was so high, and he had lost weight. Over 4 subsequent visits, and meds, and every test, they never found a diagnosis, and guessed it might be leukemia. I decided to just take him home and make him as happy and comfortable as possible.

Now every morning he uses what little strength he has to perch on my shoulder and rub his beak. Some days, there is a puddle of blood on the cage bottom where he has mutilated an underwing, but by the afternoon he is ready to play peekaboo under the cage bottom papers. When he used to say, "What cha doing?" -it meant are you eating something I might like--now it means "pick me up and croon that you love me". He is still able to stretch out his neck and purr , in response.

I'm so sorry that it took him dying to re- establish the intimate closeness we should have had all along. It hurts my heart to think of the time we lost, but I now treasure every morning that I can hold and comfort him.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I am sorry.:( Cricket sounds like a special little bird.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry that you and cricket are going through this. :sadhug:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:
Life is not easy & there is always so much we all have to do just to survive that well intentioned things get put off.
Sometimes it takes a wake up call to remind us to take time for those things that are special to us & to try to enjoy life.

As long as your guy is comfortable enjoy the time that you have together. It seems that there is never enough time but we have to make the best of what we have.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have total empathy for you and cricket. Kitty and I are living the same life. She has PDD and is in the final stages. I will keep both of you in my thoughts while we both travel this path.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have total empathy for you and cricket. Kitty and I are living the same life. She has PDD and is in the final stages. I will keep both of you in my thoughts while we both travel this path.
I'm so sorry for the two of you.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
:sadhug2:
Life is not easy & there is always so much we all have to do just to survive that well intentioned things get put off.
Sometimes it takes a wake up call to remind us to take time for those things that are special to us & to try to enjoy life.

As long as your guy is comfortable enjoy the time that you have together. It seems that there is never enough time but we have to make the best of what we have.
Thank you

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry to hear Cricket is not doing well. You both will be in my thoughts.:sadhug2:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
No matter how much time it's never enough. Just keep him happy and love him. He knows how much you care and will knows he's safe and loved to the end and will be with you forever.:sadhug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so sorry that Cricket is sick. Try to take comfort in knowing that you have given him a good home and that he is loved. That's way more than a lot of birds have.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I walked that walk with MC.

It breaks my heart but gives me comfort that they know they are loved.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry Cricket isn't doing well. :sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
This is early morning. He sits on my neck ( his body is so hot) and then I coax him down for a little applesauce. I have had to cover all the areas with towels.

Attachments