• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Little Update

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau has been a very hands-off boy since his last fright. Sometimes he'll step up nicely, but only to get somewhere - like his cage or the play area. 90% of the time I have to use a perch. Most of the time he's a feisty hissing bear trap just waiting to go off on one of my fingers or my hand. It often feels like he blames me for his fright, but deep down I know he's just scared by it all.
His playful character is coming back now and he's been singing for a while. He is still unsteady on his feet, and very slow and deliberate about moving around, but that WILL improve as he gets his confidence back.
The reason I'm posting this is something that happened earlier. He'd been playing for a while at the bottom of his cage and was slowly climbing back up the cage. He stopped half way and sat staring at me. I was talking to him all this time but he just stopped and seemed to be intent on just listening. So I carefully approached the cage and gently stroked his toes. Every toe, one at a time, still talking and watching him. It never distracted him at all, he was quite happy with the situation. Then, out of the blue he just reached down and started preening my finger.
We were doing this for like 20 minutes and he had every opportunity to get away from me but he didn't want to. It was me that stopped it with a millet bud but OMG tonight we made a breakthrough.
Tomorrow I'll be trying a calm approach with the cage door open. He sits and makes 'open the cage then' eyes at me then just hangs in the doorway so I'll slowly approach with the same hand and perch it somewhere close but out of range of that beak.
He has dropped a few more flights meaning launch day is approaching (still a way to go yet, probably this year) so I'll grab a couple of fresh pics too (his face is yellowing up nicely).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s great! I´m so glad things are getting better for you both! :loveshower:

I can´t wait to see the pics :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so happy for you! One small step at a time..

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great news!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like you had a great bonding experience! My tiels get mad at me if I touch their toes lol. I hope Tau continues to become more relaxed and confident!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The second photo shows how dark his back is getting, and how with his new flights his wings are beginning to look 'normal' again.

DSCF0137.JPG DSCF0139.JPG

I just want to get in there and release all those pinnies on the back of his head, but I can't.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice communication between the two of you. I know how it is to want to take the pinnies away but sometimes we just cannot. Its that way with Murphy. Trust is more important than itchingg pinnies.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He’s really becoming quite the handsome birdie!:heart:

RatTails

Meeting neighbors
So happy for your breakthrough! And I feel you on the pins haha thankfully my itch is scratched now that Kupo let's me preen her.