• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little shocked about my sighting/interaction

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Hello all,

So to give some context right now I am staying at an hostel room because I work far from home this week. There is a balcony in the room I am staying in, and a big glass between the balcony and the room. So I was sleeping and around 1 am I hear a noise, loud enough for waking me. I did not know what it was, first I thought it could have come from the balcony but it stopped and I went back to sleep. Then the noise started again but I heard it like as if it was coming from the wall around the room or even the ceil.

I looked around the wall and first thought that maybe it could be come from another room but it seemed so close. Then I was thinking maybe there is an animal like a rat or something in the plumbery in the wall. Anyway I was a little bit afraid and I tried to record the noise for going to see someone from the hostel.

But then I go to the balcony and I see a bird!!! I do not know the specie (I join a picture) but it looked like a pigeon or something. The bird was on the balcony and tried to enter the room and could not because of the glass. I did not know what to do honestly, I was a little bit afraid that the bird might be injured or something. So I went outside on the balcony with some water and some bread, but the bird was not interested and was keeping the attempts to enter the room, and everytime he was hitting the glass so I was afraid of him hurting himself. The thing is that the balcony is such that it is difficult to exit once inside, so I took a towel and tried to get him on the border of the balcony for him to leave. The firt attempt failed, the bird this time hit the wall and I was really afraid he was injured. Then I tried to take him and… he left! I am not 100% sure but apparently he was able to flight normally.

So well I did not know if it was the correct reaction to have, I wish I could have seen him before and I hope he is not injured. He seemed very sweet when I tried to give him some water and bread and I hope he is good now.

First time something like this happen to me and it is hard to know the right thing to do.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I wonder if a predator was after it.

SunTruth

I wonder if a predator was after it.
Oh I do not know but given that he made noise from 1 am to almost 2 am (until I found him) it is possible but then the predator probably left. He did not seem to be injured. Do you think I should have taken him with me in the room?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
This reminds me of the behaviour around here during breeding season.

Birds will peck at their reflection in windows and car mirrors because they see it as competition in their territory -- especially cardinals.

SunTruth

This reminds me of the behaviour around here during breeding season.

Birds will peck at their reflection in windows and car mirrors because they see it as competition in their territory -- especially cardinals.

Oh it could be that also. Now the thing is that it was by night (1 am) and I keep one light on for sleeping so there was light in the room. I just assumed he has seen some light and wanted to enter but I do not know it seems a little odd.
If I had been home seeing (or rather assuming because I cannot be sure) he was distressed I could have tried to make him enter inside, but in a hostel room I did not want to try. But maybe he did not want to enter at all and was thinking the reflection in the mirror was another bird. Regardless it is now 4 am and still not sleeping :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh I do not know but given that he made noise from 1 am to almost 2 am (until I found him) it is possible but then the predator probably left. He did not seem to be injured. Do you think I should have taken him with me in the room?
No I don’t think you should have done anything different.
I don’t know why he was there so I have no clue what the right thing to do would have been. :)

In the case of the blue fairy wrens that do this at my house (during the day) I know why they’re there and what they think they’re doing so I cover my car mirrors with a pair of old socks to stop them attacking my mirrors and wasting their energy on a pointless task.