• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenetic

Checking out the neighborhood
Today, Tupi took a bath for the first time (That I have seen) and It was so freaking adorable! Anyway, I saw that he was kind of cold, and obviously wet. So I got a towel to help him dry off... only for him to be all like 'get that thing away!' I tried to get him into the towel, but he continued to back away from it. I set it on top of his cage for him, and he avoided it like the PLAGUE! Is there anything I could do to get him out of his Towel-phobia?

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Why do you feel the need to towel him? What you perceive as shivering is not always what it is. They vibrate like that to get the feathers moving to help them dry quicker.

If you want to help him dry you could try using a blow dryer but be sure it has no TEFLON in it and do not dry him completely. Leave him damp to dry the rest naturally.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I turn the heat up in my house after they get completely soaked. Like I take them in the shower for 10 or so minutes.
But if they bathe in their bowl I don't bother with it they are perfectly fine.

He shouldn't need toweled. I turn my heat from about 67-69 to 75 for 30 minutes or so.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I also raise the heat in the room for about 30 minutes.
What I did with Ruby to get her used to a towel was to play with it and her on the bed playing peek-a-boo. When I would hold her I would drape a small towel over her body but not her head just for a few seconds and increase it with time also making a game out if it.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
There are birds that just love to shower. You don't need to turn the heat up. Just keep them out of a breeze. The figure out on their own how to take care of their feathers. My best teachers to understanding this were 2 conures....blue crown and gcc. I would put fresh water out and they both immediately hit the water dish. Have a glass of ice water and they were trying to take a bath in my glass of ice water. Several breeders and pet owners have found that birds tend to bathe more in the colder/winter months than they do in summer. Some of the breeder birds are in outside flights (they don't do it with freezing temps). The thought is that the feathers really need to be clean in the winter months to protect them from the elements. Summer not so much a problem.

It is probably ok to lightly dry them off with a towel but it is good for them to groom their own feathers.

My severe just hitches a ride on my shoulder and jumps into the kitchen sink. She gives me heck if I don't let her bathe long enough! Her feathers are always in perfect condition.

Peggy

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
I also just kick the heat up a lil..or if its a day when the sun is comming in tru window good get them soaked then..never had a prob my ekies get so wet they are off balance for a few but i let them dry naturaly..if i have a picker i try to shower everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.