• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little help pls

Ingenarel

Meeting neighbors
1) I have 2 sick budgies. My vet told me to give them medicine by a injection. After i gave it to them, the medicine started coming out of their nostrils. I checked them later. The nostrils were clear, and they were breathing fine. Now will there be some problems?

2) every time i let them out of the cage they go to the floor. See the image. The floor is mozaik. See the dark outlines, they are glass. Our building is nearly 50 years old and these are too. So, they have cracks in them. My budgies go to the floor, then they start to Chew them and eat dust, glass etc.i don't know what to do. How can i let the budgies out without them eating the floor

ps. If i have some grammatical errors, pls pardon me. English is not my mother tongue.

Attachments

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I don't know about the medicine, but coming out of their noses can't be good.

Are they flighted or clipped? There's not much you can do for clipped budgies, please don't clip them again if they can't fly. It's unhealthy. For now you can try a playstand, like PVC or wood. You can get them on Etsy, @JLcribber 's are the best.

Welcome to the avenue!

Ephy

Walking the driveway
My birds are terrible for trying to get into places and eat things they are not suppose to.
You just have to stay on them, distract and remove everytime they go where they shouldnt and reward when they stop doing those things.

Sometime they challenge me on purpose but they have learned where they are not allowed to be or do and usually I can just tell them "no get down, no get off, no floor, no heads, no whatever" and they are typically behaved, but you have to be consistent.

donutweall

Walking the driveway
Two tips for medicine if you have to do more doses (I recently had to administer 2 does/day for 10 days, and once a day for 14, so we got some practice):

1. Do only a TINY bit at a time. It should be no more than a drop or so. One dose may have to be administered in several mouthfuls to do it safely.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
I would put down a carpet/get a play stand to prevent them from chewing on the floor, I don't have any tips for the medicine, but there is good advice above.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
2. Make sure it goes ABOVE the tounge and not below it. They can also get it in their airways if it goes below the tounge.
Ooops! I'm sure you meant the other way around?
Best place for liquid medicines is to the right of the tounge to the front of the mouth (their right, our left). If it's placed right they can't help but swallow it. Another idea is to soak it into a little toasted bread or a little mashed fruit.

Last edited:

donutweall

Walking the driveway
Ooops! I'm sure you meant the other way around?
Best place for liquid medicines is to the right of the tounge to the front of the mouth (their right, our left). If it's placed right they can't help but swallow it. Another idea is to soak it into a little toasted bread or a little mashed fruit.
Oof. You are right, I can't edit the post anymore, so hopefully a mod can come in and remove/edit it so as not to spread misinformation?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't know about the other stuff but I don't allow my budgies on the floor. Just tell them no and shoo them off/remove them. They will get the message with enough repetition. I imagine eating that stuff isn't good for them.