• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A little celebration for how far Raijū has come

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So for the longest time, Raijū did not let me touch him inside the cage. Fine by me, but I always felt a little bad since I pull Phoenix out of the cage every day, I always felt like Raijū would feel left out. I offered my hand to him every morning anyway but he’d give me warning bites so I’d take my hand away- he’d come out on his own a few minutes later

But over the past couple of weeks, every day he’s been waiting for my hand!! He gets so eager he leans forward so far I’m surprised he hasn’t fell off the perch yet- then he hops right into my hand and the three of us have a very long conversation (usually about bacon pancakes :roflmao: )

He’s also been very demanding for being picked up- Phoenix will find his way to my hand then attempt to pull my hand upward so I’m forced to hold him, but Raijū will sit in front of me and scream until I pick him up:rofl: Might sound annoying to others, but I’m in love:heart:

And the best of all- He’s started consistently ASKING for KISSES!! Phoenix would kill for kisses, and is always screaming “Kiss kiss kiss, gimme a kiss!” Raijū’s never been interested in them until recently, but now he has to have kisses too!! He says the words for them and gets so happy when I kiss him. But oh man when I kiss him without permission he bites so hard and won’t let go:lol:

I’m just so happy that he feels so comfortable now. When I first brought him home he didn’t move from one of the perches unless he was eating or drinking- and oh man he was terrified of me. I wasn’t expecting him to be a bird I could handle, I thought he’d end up being a no-touch bird. It hasn’t even been a full year since I brought him home and he’s already got just as much of a bond with me as Phoenix has. I feel so lucky:heart:

Training him was hard since he didn’t want much to do with me, he never really got recall training down (which is really the only thing I *really* want them to learn). After he’s become more comfortable with me, though, he’s gotten way better at listening! Right now, he recalls from about 5 feet away. He hasn’t done it across the room yet, but I’m sure he’ll come around eventually!

8B6599C9-2B8D-4FAF-BA35-DC0163668A7D.jpeg F9365DCC-080E-4DD3-A3DD-48C47358D2F5.jpeg 89B6C51F-AFA5-4C2D-8BF9-2D9674ACA084.jpeg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooof! That sweet, little face!! :xflove: Happy day, Raiju! You are a champion!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great progress

A.K

Sprinting down the street
That’s fantastic to hear!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He looks so confident from when you first got him! :xflove:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You are a natural bird woman!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Aw cute. Reminds me of Parker. Definitely worth celebrating, break out the cake!