• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little bit concern again

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
My bird was doing just fine weeks ago again . But I am little bit concern again because he has been scratching his nares more often and nothing was coming out of there . I research a little bit and it says that they usually scratch them and sneeze and as long as there is no discharge it should be fine . But he hasn’t but just now he sneeze after I blow his little nares and right after he sneezes a clear liquid came out . I don’t know what to do since we are in lockdown here is California .Please help

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
And he is acting normal eating normal and he ate an apple today

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Has your bird been checked by a vet? If not, I suggest you organise to do that ASAP so you can stop worrying about things that are fairly normal bird behaviour and get an idea of what things are something to worry about.
If your bird has no nasal discharge and is not sneezing constantly or all day then there’s a good chance your bird just had an itch or some dust to sneeze out... very normal behaviour. Do you give your bird the opportunity to bathe or do you mist him regularly? Bathing helps them with many things, dust and sneezing being one of them.

Mantis64

Also if the discharge is after he gets a drink or takes a bath then it's likely that the water from that is what is causing the discharge. If the discharge is thin and clear and isnt thick or coloured chances are it's just the water getting up his cere.

Mantis64

Also if it isnt a daily think and there are no other symptoms than hes probably fine but as Shezbug says it's best to take him to the vet if you are worried.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Has your bird been checked by a vet? If not, I suggest you organise to do that ASAP so you can stop worrying about things that are fairly normal bird behaviour and get an idea of what things are something to worry about.
If your bird has no nasal discharge and is not sneezing constantly or all day then there’s a good chance your bird just had an itch or some dust to sneeze out... very normal behaviour. Do you give your bird the opportunity to bathe or do you mist him regularly? Bathing helps them with many things, dust and sneezing being one of them.
Yeah I took him to the vet and he got blood test and culture test done and everything came out normal . He had an infection a month ago but with all the test done there was no infection . He does shower but I don’t mist him regularly . I feel since my house is pretty dusty that’s why he does it . Thanks

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
He does sneeze but is when he preens and when he scratches and only once he discharge a clear liquid. Ok I guess is normal I am a first time owning a bird that’s why I get worried about things like that.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Also if it isnt a daily think and there are no other symptoms than hes probably fine but as Shezbug says it's best to take him to the vet if you are worried.
Yeah it was only once and it was clear liquid but he scratches himself. Yeah I know after showering or while showering is normal.

Mantis64

My bird does this occasionally where he scratches his cere especially after a good long preening session.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
He just did it again today and I felt a little spray on me I don’t know what to do anymore because we are in lock down here in California

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Is he displaying any other symptoms
no he just keep scratching his nares and just one time I felt the sprayed in me but is less than last time. I weighted him and he normal , he eats , shower and drink water . I don’t know if it is cause is dry over here now . I did a little bit on steam for him I hope that helps .

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Call the vet, they are still there even in the lockdown, they are essential services. My turquoise sneezes on me sometimes, you may need to dust and add humidity.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I'm not sure where in CA you live but I live in the LA area. I thought my budgie was sick a few days ago and contacted his vet. We did everything by email with pictures and it turned out he was OK. You might contact his vet and see if email will work.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I'm not sure where in CA you live but I live in the LA area. I thought my budgie was sick a few days ago and contacted his vet. We did everything by email with pictures and it turned out he was OK. You might contact his vet and see if email will work.
yeah I google it and is open I would ask his vet that.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
No luck it seems like their phone is having trouble again is his avian vet. He has another vet but she just seems to see exotic animals and she cured him last time with his infection . I guess I will try it with her .