• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A kakariki landed in my garden

Jones

Checking out the neighborhood
Today a kakariki chased by a magpie landed on my upstairs terras. I gave it some time as the terras is kind of a safe place before attempting to catch it. I am writing from Belgium without current outside temperatures during the day between 5 and 15 degrees Celsius. Too cold I was told.
When I was about to attempt to catch it, if flew up to a flat roof and from there took off quite confidently.

Thought I would never see it again but guess who popped up in the garden about two hours later? I was able to approach it, and it ate from my hand so I could catch it easily with my other hand.

In the meanwhile it's in a cage which I managed to find online in the neighborhoud and I've given it food and water. I've already taken a liking to the animal and if its owner is not found will do my best to take care of it. But from what I've read it seems the bird needs space to fly and cannot be kept in a small cage so I am a bit worried. How should I go about it now? It's not really tame and was biting my finger real hard when I caught it. What are sensible first steps? How long can I keep it in this cage before it feels unsettled? Should I keep it long enough it so it's used to the house, voices (two small kids), etc. before even thinking of letting its door open ...

thanks in advance for the advice :)

Last edited:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I don't know anything about kakarikis, kakariki? kakorikes... that proves just how much I know about them. Anyway, are you sure It's not wild? Ask around everywhere and see if anyone claims it, and in the meantime get it in the biggest cage you can find. Do you have pet birds in the house? If so, make sure they don't come in contact or in the same room as the new bird as it could be sick.

There's my 2 cents, someone will be along soon with better advice.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
First thing is to try to find it’s actual owners... call all vets in the area, all pet stores and even the local police to let them know you have the bird incase it’s owners are looking for it.
Social media is often a massive help reuniting lost birds with their owners so post on FB if you have it and even put up flyers.
Parrot alert should also be a site to check and list the bird as found on. You’ll need to register I believe to post that you’ve found the bird.

Remember to only say you’ve found a bird and not to describe anything unique about it too well- you want the real owners to tell you what the bird looks and behaves like etc.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
He should be okay for a few days in a smallish cage. If you want to open it for some flight time it will be helpful to add a perch to the outside of the cage or on the door for him to easily land and get back in...leave the food in the cage, they eat a lot and he will be looking for food in reasonable amount of time. Some chopped veggies and maybe a little cooked quinoa or rice...who knows what he's used to, though.

I hope you find his family.
@Mark & Da Boyz might have some insights for you too.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!!

Hope you're able to keep your rescue... tho I'm sure his 'people-parents' are looking for him...

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today a kakariki chased by a magpie landed on my upstairs terras. I gave it some time as the terras is kind of a safe place before attempting to catch it. I am writing from Belgium without current outside temperatures during the day between 5 and 15 degrees Celsius. Too cold I was told.
When I was about to attempt to catch it, if flew up to a flat roof and from there took off quite confidently.

Thought I would never see it again but guess who popped up in the garden about two hours later? I was able to approach it, and it ate from my hand so I could catch it easily with my other hand.

In the meanwhile it's in a cage which I managed to find online in the neighborhoud and I've given it food and water. I've already taken a liking to the animal and if its owner is not found will do my best to take care of it. But from what I've read it seems the bird needs space to fly and cannot be kept in a small cage so I am a bit worried. How should I go about it now? It's not really tame and was biting my finger real hard when I caught it. What are sensible first steps? How long can I keep it in this cage before it feels unsettled? Should I keep it long enough it so it's used to the house, voices (two small kids), etc. before even thinking of letting its door open ...

thanks in advance for the advice :)
Picture pleeeeeez

Jones

Guess I owe all of you an update :)

After not really knowing what to do we decided to open his cage last week. For a couple of days he did not react, but then suddenly decided to give it go. He seems very relaxed going around in the house :) First time he even went by himself back inside. Yesterday was more difficult as he had gotten to the second floor. I had to catch him. It's not too difficult as he does not seem afraid when you come close. Eventually he does fly up but I think it's more my inexperience to confidently grab him that is the problem. The little bird somehow seems to have this intelligent look and we now feel responsible for him. If we can let him go out every day for some hours we feel fine with keeping him. We might have to look for another cage though.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad he’s become more comfortable in your home. I would refrain from grabbing him, because you will loose any trust that you have built up. Try using a treat to get him on a perch. You then can carry him on it while he is eating, or look into target training. Make sure to reward any desired behaviors and never force him to do anything.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I do recommend taking him in for a vet check. Being outside can be very rough on them.

Jones

I’m glad he’s become more comfortable in your home. I would refrain from grabbing him, because you will loose any trust that you have built up. Try using a treat to get him on a perch. You then can carry him on it while he is eating, or look into target training. Make sure to reward any desired behaviors and never force him to do anything.
Thanks, yes, grabbing/catching him did not feel right, but the last days he goes in his cage by himself. Guess he simply gets hungry and goes back in. He stays out for a couple of hours and seems very happy observing different places, our family members in the house and flying around without ever hitting anything or so.

We've been posting on all possible social media channels to trace the owner but in vain so far.