• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A happy Common Myna!

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
This is Rodney.
rodney3.JPG
Rodney is a Common/Indian Myna that fell out a very high nest at only a few days old, and was picked up by some caring school kids. A teacher at the school took little Rodney from the kids and gave him a home. He was very well looked after, but as the teacher couldn't give him the space he needed to spread his wings, she asked if I could take him.

Unfortunately, Mynas in South Africa are considered to be huge pests, as they are not indigenous and generally make a big mess as they live just about anywhere. They are usually shot in high numbers or left to die when they are found out of their nests.

As people may know from my other posts, I rehabilitate wild birds, but as I would be risking Rodney's life by sending him out into the wild, I think I am quite happy to make him one of my permanents :p He is now about 2 and a half months old.

As you can see, Rodney started out as a bit of a baldy. This seems to be quite common in Mynas, and can be a result of mites, disease or stress. Lucky us, he started growing head feathers within only a few days of being with me! I suspect it was stress from not having much space to grow in his previous home. He has been with me for just under a month, and nearly all of his feathers are through!
rodney4.JPG
rodney5.JPG

He loves to bath, sit on my head and sing his lungs out :heart: So far, I have only heard him say "hello" once. Other than that, he makes a big jumble of sounds!

At the moment, he spends most of his day out in a small room, and his strength has increased tremendously! Before, he would fly a meter or two and start wheezing. Now, he zips happily around the room with no sign of any effort :heart: I'm proud of this big boy!
rodney6.JPG

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh I'm a rehabber too! I usually take in small mammals, sparrows, starlings, and pigeons :)
Happy this little guy got to you!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
What a transformation! He has lovely colouring and certainly does look healthy now.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
beautiful

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's adorable!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Love the story!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
OMG! I'm in love! You will keep us updated right?:)
Of course! ;)

Thanks everyone! I would love to hear what other Myna owners use to stimulate and entertain these clever birds! So far Rodney doesn't like any of the toys I got/made for him :cautious: