• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Greenwing is my dream bird

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Hello All,

I'm really conflicted and I just need some honest feedback. I am hoping that in a year and a half I will be moving into a house and and finally be ready to have my dream bird, a GW macaw. There are a couple different ways I am thinking of going about it: ether rescue or get a baby. Honestly, I want to rescue for many reasons. My top 3 reasons are: why not rescue/ adopt an existing bird that needs a home, it would be nice to know what the birds personality is like after they have reached sexual maturity (I've done a TON of reading on hormones- you all have taught me a lot!! LOL) and lastly cost.

Now I know that last one might open me up to interesting comments. Before anyone says it let me say, I am ready and financially prepared for vet bills, even if it means thousands. Also, BTW, I'm lucky because the vet I go to for my two reptiles is also an avian vet that is recommended in my area, so that's a BIG bonus! I'm also not terribly worried about the monthly reoccurring cost for food and all the toys a GW will chew though although I'm sure a GW could rack up a really big monthly toy bill with how much they like to chew!

So here is where I'm conflicted. Cost of adopting vs. getting a baby. There is one heck of a difference in price a baby looks to be around $5000.00 give or take and adopting is in many cases less that $1000.00. Now that by it's self is not the big deal. It's adding on the cost of the walk in stainless steel, aviary cage which I have seen prices at around $2000 to $5000 or so. $10,000 right off the get go gives me some serious anxiety and that's just the bird and the cage, we all know there is a lot more than that, that I will need in a hurry. Am I way off on the whole cage thing? It sounds like GW's really need the stainless steel due the the power of there beaks and I'm thinking due to there size it seems like from what others say, a regular cage would not be large enough? FYI, I do not plan on having the bird in it's cage all the time but I do want the bird to be able to fully spread it's wings and flap them when in the cage. So I'm thinking it would be nice if I can spend less on the bird it's self so I can spend the big dollars on the all the enrichment.

Listen, I don't have any kinds and likely will not. I'm a serious home body and I prefer my to spend my time at home with my animal family. I will basically see this bird as my child and whichever bird I end up choosing is about to come home I am going to be "nesting," and prepping for it like nothing else, it will be ridiculous. :lol::shy:

So this all leads me to- how do I adopt a GW macaw when I see most shelters say in the add that macaw experiences is a must. Just wait until I tell them I haven't owned a bird before!! :jawdrop1: That should squash my dreams right there. The thing is, they don't know that Ive done the research for YEARS, I'm not going to run away crying from the bird when eventually it bites me (well maybe I will cry a bit when I need stitches, but I'll be back! lol) or ditch it when it screams and so on. I'm one of those people that sticks it out when it's not fun and I will take the time to figure out what I'm doing wrong, I have a lot of patients with animals. Also, if I don't get a bird from a shelter then I'm just going to wait longer and save up more for a baby, so in my mind I need to find a way to show them I am a safe adopter that will properly care for a macaw that needs a forever home even though I am not the obvious choice. I'm not sure how I am going to do that.

With all that said and there is so much more I could say, I feel like my dream bird might be out of reach. :sad4: You all can be honest, it might hurt but I can take it. If a GW is not in the cards or is not the right fit, I still really want bird and I will go for more of a medium size like an amazon that I can buy a more affordable cage for so that if I'm forced to buy a baby the initial cost might not be as bad. There are plenty of other birds that I really like a lot and I could see myself easily with more than one bird so maybe the better answer for me is to start a little smaller, my big thing is that no animal is disposable or should be used only as a stepping stone- that's just not right.

Please tell me- are any of my perceptions really off. Is adopting a GW really far fetched specifically for me? And maybe I need to be more realistic?

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I don’t know anything about GWs other than that they’re beautiful, but hopefully somebody with pertinent experience will be along soon.
As far as showing that you’re a worthy adopter- is there any kind of volunteering opportunity available to you? I assume you’d be getting your potential secondhand bird from a parrot-specific rescue, and since you know you’re a year or two out from being in a house, why not use that time in volunteering? The rescue staff get to know you as a dependable person, and as a bonus you get that hands on bird experience that might otherwise set you back as a potential adopter.
I personally think your reasoning is sound as far as spending less on the bird itself to give yourself way more flexibility on setting up a great environment. But also, building a friendship with a rescued animal is SUPER rewarding quite separate from financial concerns. :loveshower:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I don’t think anything you’ve said should hinder your chances at adopting a macaw. Just keep in mind, if the 10k off the bat worries you for the baby and aviary, that sometimes the vet bills of a rescue macaw will quickly reach or exceed that number. Not always, but sometimes they have major issues (any bird really can have issues, even well cared for young ones and avian care isn’t cheap) If you adopt through a rescue that should all be much more apparent prior to bringing the macaw home than say if you adopt off a local listing.
No one starts with experience, we gain it through lots of trial and error and learning with our macaws along the way. I think the best thing we can do is know when to reach out with questions and seek advice. We’re all doing the best we can, and with so, so many macaws in rescue and needing loving homes, every person with open eyes and a willingness to learn should go forward and do just that. :heart2:

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I definitely encourage you to adopt. I also think the volunteering suggestion is great. Although I believe people should adopt the bird they want from the start, I think some macaw experience would be beneficial first. I still sometimes get nervous handling a macaw. They're big.... Also, not all rescues have the you must have experience requirement. Another possibility is you could look into fostering first.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
@Chomskypom @sunnysmom
Both of your idea of volunteering is exactly what I have been wanting to do but sadly the only rescue near me does not have a central location and operates out of foster homes. I called them and they politely said no to my question of volunteer work. It would have been really nice...

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@Chomskypom @sunnysmom
Both of your idea of volunteering is exactly what I have been wanting to do but sadly the only rescue near me does not have a central location and operates out of foster homes. I called them and they politely said no to my question of volunteer work. It would have been really nice...
Can you foster for them?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My current living arraignments don't allow for it. I will just wave to and see what the future holds. What is meant to be will be I guess.
Can you foster something smaller where you are? Any bird experience is good experience and will help when you actually apply to adopt, I think.

Reactions: tka

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Can you foster something smaller where you are? Any bird experience is good experience and will help when you actually apply to adopt, I think.
its a little uncomfortable to say this but I’m living at home right now until I have the money to make a down payment on a house and all I have is my bedroom :o:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
its a little uncomfortable to say this but I’m living at home right now until I have the money to make a down payment on a house and all I have is my bedroom :o:
It sounds like you're financially responsible. Don't feel uncomfortable. :)

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
If spending 10000+ in the span of a week worries you, don’t do it. Maybe buy everything you will need for the parrot over the span of a few weeks, then get the actual bird when you are ready and have set up his space. Just a suggestion :)

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
If spending 10000+ in the span of a week worries you, don’t do it. Maybe buy everything you will need for the parrot over the span of a few weeks, then get the actual bird when you are ready and have set up his space. Just a suggestion :)
Spending that much money money in one swipe of a credit card on something that is a non-necessity will cause me to need some anxiety medication lol I do like the idea of getting the supplies first first, getting it all set up and then getting the bird. I’m a planner, I feel more calm when when I know I’m prepared. I like your idea!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Spending that much money money in one swipe of a credit card on something that is a non-necessity will cause me to need some anxiety medication lol I do like the idea of getting the supplies first first, getting it all set up and then getting the bird. I’m a planner, I feel more calm when when I know I’m prepared. I like your idea!
This is what I did with all my bird stuff as I had to wait for Burt to wean. Omg looking at all that bird stuff and having no bird and no date of when I could get him was torture lol. It was a good kind of torture but torture none the less :laugh:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
This is what I did with all my bird stuff as I had to wait for Burt to wean. Omg looking at all that bird stuff and having no bird and no date of when I could get him was torture lol. It was a good kind of torture but torture none the less :laugh:
Yes, I can picture what you are talking about! There is a local bird specialty shop near me and they very sternly tell people they do NOT sell un-weaned babies. I’m grateful though, I would be scared to feed a baby, terrified I would hurt the little one. If I get a baby waiting for them to be done weaning will be very hard. They encourage you to come to the store and spend time with them while they are weaning...I would pitch a tent outside of the store! I’m so anxious for the day that I can post a picture on here of my set up or of course the new addition. I’m tempted to rent a storage lot and start buying things like java trees now and just storing it away.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If someone had told me I'd have to spend $10,000 dollars out the door to own a Greenwing, I'd have missed the 20 years of joy, drama, frustration, and love that Chaos has brought me!

If someone had told me I needed macaw experience, I'd not have him.

If someone had had said the vet bills will eat you alive, I'd not have him.

If someone had said they don't handle change, you need a big house, you need an aviary, I'd not have him.

Of course having all those things would have helped. ;)

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Good Morning everyone, first I want to say how grateful I am to have all of you to talk to. I feel like this community is the only place I have to go and talk about my interest in birds with. This morning I am going to go to a local parrot specialty store where they sell birds, bird supplies and the owners also are breeders. I have put in an inquiry for work with them before and I got no answer. I am in no way trying to toot my own horn but I am wondering if they are not contacting me back because of my age (34) and job experience? I have a "professional job" that I am serious about and I see they are mostly interested in hiring much younger people that have retail experience. I don't know if they understand that I am not interested in working for the money per say, I just want to be around the birds! I am not looking to move up in the company, threaten taking any management positions, I will work for any amount they are willing to pay, I will do lots of cleaning, stocking shelves, anything to get the opportunity to be with the birds and learn. So anyways, they have a GW on hand currently and I am going this morning to see the bird in person as I have never seen one in person and also talk to them in person about doing some part time work, I am hoping to fill in the gaps an reassure them that I can fit in with their current staff and be a valuable addition to the team.

Think some good thoughts for me, I'm nervous to be shot down but I'm just not ready to give up trying to gain some experiences with these amazing animals. Please pray they my anxiety does not make an bum out of me. Sometimes I get so nervous in person that my delivery is not so great, it's not usually until after someone gives me a chance that I get to shine. :nervous:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You will be somewhat at a disadvantage if you indicate that you don't need the job. An employer wants someone who is wanting a job ($$$$) and needs a job. Reliability to an employer is very important.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
You will be somewhat at a disadvantage if you indicate that you don't need the job. An employer wants someone who is wanting a job ($$$$) and needs a job. Reliability to an employer is very important.
I think you are correct. I’ll have to use my need desire for experience and hope it’s enough. Maybe not highlight the money thing. I’m in the parking lot now just trying to center myself before I walk in. Ughhhh.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Well I have big news! I went to the bird store today and a LOT has come out of that visit. After some discussion with my dad and step mom (I'm temporarily living with them while I save for a house) they have agreed to let me have a small bird and I have put a down payment on a love bird!! I think it would be wise of me to start small and I feel like a love bird is a companion I can confidently handle and welcome into my life for the long haul. I am going to have my parents come and visit the little one tomorrow with me so we can all meet the bird before bringing him home. I want to be sure we are all on the same page and feel comfortable. Any new addition I bring home of course has a forever home and someday might have a flock member of it's own kind.

Additional, I found out they allow volunteers! They just asked me to let them know in advanced when I want to come in!! I plan on volunteering on the weekends as they allow so I can handle the big birds as they have them.

Today was a much bigger step forward than I thought I was going to make and I am so ready! I look forward to introducing everyone to the new addition once I make the final arrangements. I can't believe I'm even typing this! :heart: :swoon::cloud9: