• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Greenwing is my dream bird

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Even if you eventually get your Greenwing, never forget that this lovebird is your first and foremost.

I'm glad you had a good experience at the store.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Even if you eventually get your Greenwing, never forget that this lovebird is your first and foremost.

I'm glad you had a good experience at the store.
I’ll never leave the lovebird behind, no other bird will discount my love for him.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
When I got my baby green wing I didn't have many of the things you're worrying about. I didn't spend $10,000, I didn't worry about astronomical vet bills, I didn't have a walk-in aviary (I still don't), I didn't have macaw experience, I didn't worry that my house wasn't big enough. She's 6 now, and I couldn't be happier with her. I'm so glad I didn't let all that worry stop me. Imagine if we did that before we had children... the human race would die out. All those things would have been nice, but no situation is ever truly perfection. Enjoy your Love Bird - they're adorable. And you might decide he/she fits you to a T and you never want a bigger bird...

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
When I got my baby green wing I didn't have many of the things you're worrying about. I didn't spend $10,000, I didn't worry about astronomical vet bills, I didn't have a walk-in aviary (I still don't), I didn't have macaw experience, I didn't worry that my house wasn't big enough. She's 6 now, and I couldn't be happier with her. I'm so glad I didn't let all that worry stop me. Imagine if we did that before we had children... the human race would die out. All those things would have been nice, but no situation is ever truly perfection. Enjoy your Love Bird - they're adorable. And you might decide he/she fits you to a T and you never want a bigger bird...
Thank you for that response, it makes me feel better. I do really love my lovebird, it took no time for me to become addicted to her and no other bird could ever replace her in my eyes. I do seriously think I want a macaw someday when the time is right but I feel really happy happy right now with my little lovie. I have a strong feeling I’m going to have a few birds in the not to distant future once I feel capable. :heart:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I also have a 30 year old cockatoo whom I got as a baby when I was in college. Like most college students, I really had nothing except for my love of animals and my dedication to them. I've taken her everywhere with me through the years, she's watched me get married and raise kids, move across the country... if I'd waited until I had all my p's and q's lined up I would have missed her entirely. That would be a true loss... All I can tell you is don't take on too much, and love the ones you're with!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I also have a 30 year old cockatoo whom I got as a baby when I was in college. Like most college students, I really had nothing except for my love of animals and my dedication to them. I've taken her everywhere with me through the years, she's watched me get married and raise kids, move across the country... if I'd waited until I had all my p's and q's lined up I would have missed her entirely. That would be a true loss... All I can tell you is don't take on too much, and love the ones you're with!
Thank you for the response! It’s really nice to know other peoples story and paths. It helps me understand that lots of people don’t have the “perfect,” set up right out of the gate. I get stuck thinking that if I can’t make it near perfect from day one then I should just forget it. I’m really grateful for yours and others responses like this, I feel less pressure and it feels more obtainable.

HeatherD

Meeting neighbors
You might want to check online pet ad sites. One of my biggest gripes with rescues is that they make the adoption process so difficult, that many of the birds never get to leave the rescue. (If you live a 3-hour drive from the rescue and work a full time job, how the heck are you supposed to visit the rescue multiple times per week for "at least 3 months" without neglecting your own birds??? it's crazy)

However, a lot of people put up ads on online sites before they resort to a rescue, so you can often find a bird in need of a better home, better cage, better diet, etc. One of my ringnecks was in a toyless, perchless cage eating nothing but tropican pellets and no human interaction for a year before I bought her from craigslist. I'm pretty certain they never even let her out of the cage, because her flight feathers had grown in but her wing muscles were too weak to fly at all, poor thing. So, if you can't adopt from a rescue because they think you have insufficient prior bird experience, maybe consider online ad sites (craigslist, hoobly, etc)

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
You might want to check online pet ad sites. One of my biggest gripes with rescues is that they make the adoption process so difficult, that many of the birds never get to leave the rescue. (If you live a 3-hour drive from the rescue and work a full time job, how the heck are you supposed to visit the rescue multiple times per week for "at least 3 months" without neglecting your own birds??? it's crazy)

However, a lot of people put up ads on online sites before they resort to a rescue, so you can often find a bird in need of a better home, better cage, better diet, etc. One of my ringnecks was in a toyless, perchless cage eating nothing but tropican pellets and no human interaction for a year before I bought her from craigslist. I'm pretty certain they never even let her out of the cage, because her flight feathers had grown in but her wing muscles were too weak to fly at all, poor thing. So, if you can't adopt from a rescue because they think you have insufficient prior bird experience, maybe consider online ad sites (craigslist, hoobly, etc)
Fabulous suggestion! I will keep that in mind. I really would like to adopt over shop we will see! Thank you! :D