• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Glow Up for Lucy!

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
My local bird club brings in a mobile avian vet at least once a year, and yesterday was the big day! It was a great experience: he uses gas anesthesia to do a fairly thorough physical exam, and he explained everything he was seeing. She has a little tattoo mark in her left "arm pit" (for lack of a better term!), which he said is done when a bird is surgically sexed -- so someone in her previous life had this done. I am guessing she was either a breeder bird or intended to be before she was rescued. Her wing feathers are pretty tattered, but he thinks it is due to barbering; he pulled out just a couple to encourage growth so she can start flying a little quicker. She is also pulling out some of her downy feathers on her back, so I am going to have to keep a watch on that. Then he trimmed her nails very nicely and .... (drumroll please!) .... got her beak back in good order! I asked if diet changes will help with her odd beak growth, but he said no, that lots of Hahn's have strange beaks, and she will just need a beak trim every 6 months or so for life. Here are before and after pics -- enjoy!
IMG_6113.jpeg IMG_6118.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ve not heard of an avian vet using anaesthesia to do a physical check, thankfully the vets I’ve used have only used gas for procedures.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I’ve not heard of an avian vet using anaesthesia to do a physical check, thankfully the vets I’ve used have only used gas for procedures.
Op said vet used gas as an anesthesia.
My local bird club brings in a mobile avian vet at least once a year, and yesterday was the big day! It was a great experience: he uses gas anesthesia to do a fairly thorough physical exam, and he explained everything he was seeing

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Op said vet used gas as an anesthesia.
My local bird club brings in a mobile avian vet at least once a year, and yesterday was the big day! It was a great experience: he uses gas anesthesia to do a fairly thorough physical exam, and he explained everything he was seeing
Yeah I did see that, the way I answered does make it sound like I missed that information though- sorry.
The vets I’ve seen did the usual physical exams and swabs without any anaesthesia and then only used gas anaesthesia for actual procedures like removing the band and microchipping. At the last visit Birdie had his blood drawn without any anaesthesia.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet did pull a couple of flights which certainly warrants the anaesthesia. If it's a very detailed physical examination of a bird who is reluctant to be handled, with a couple of minor procedures like pulling flights, then a whiff of gas makes things much less stress for everyone involved.

Lucy's beak looks much better - I hope she finds it easier to eat now that it's a better shape.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is wonderful to see Lucy on the up and up :heart2:

I’ve not heard of an avian vet using anaesthesia to do a physical check.
Pi is put under gas for all his bloods and parts of his physical. He is far to stressed without it. Each bird is unique.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beautiful girl!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
This vet has a great website where he explains his process (with photos)! I am allowed to share it here?
Yes ! Absolutely...
Their are some remarkable, Mobile: Certified Avian/ Exotic Vet's that reach-out to Companion Parrot Caretakers that may not have access to a brick & mortar practice.
Congratulations ! Thank you so much for sharing, many people may not be aware of these type of services.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
His name is Dr. Scott McDonald and here is his site. There are so few avian diplomates in the US, and none live anywhere within driving distance of me. But if you click on the protocols tab on Dr. M’s site, he goes through his process step by step. He also lists his experience and other pertinent information. I don’t know what his typical fee is for patients, but he comes to my area, sponsored by my bird club, and sees many patients in one day. For members, I paid $30 plus $3 for the club. Some members bring 3, 4, 5, 10 plus birds to be seen — the club organizes the appointments and provides a couple of assistants for the doctor. Scott E. McDonald

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
His name is Dr. Scott McDonald and here is his site. There are so few avian diplomates in the US, and none live anywhere within driving distance of me. But if you click on the protocols tab on Dr. M’s site, he goes through his process step by step. He also lists his experience and other pertinent information. I don’t know what his typical fee is for patients, but he comes to my area, sponsored by my bird club, and sees many patients in one day. For members, I paid $30 plus $3 for the club. Some members bring 3, 4, 5, 10 plus birds to be seen — the club organizes the appointments and provides a couple of assistants for the doctor. Scott E. McDonald
I've heard of Dr. Mcdonald and his stellar reputation as an excellent Avian Veterinary Practice .
I think there's a "Forum Thread' here on Avian Avenue, where members can post information about Avian Veterinarian's .
Ask a Moderator where's the best place to post his contact information .

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I've heard very good things about him.