• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A friend for Cloud

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As many of you are aware, Cloud was suddenly left without a budgie buddy. He's still a baby with baby bars. I've noticed he's more subdued, sad & shows less interest in life. He holds vigil on the pink boing where it is clear Moss first started to die or swings in a neurotic rythym (not normally) on Moss' favourite swing. He only exhibits well adjusted behaviour when playing with the stacked flowers toy from Jan. I think he's in deepest mourning.

Assuming the histopathology comes back conclusive for a non-communicable disease or simply an unknown cause of death, I have been considering three options:

1. Go on Kijiji & rehome him a buddy (there's a nice, lone adult male budgie up right now, but I'm waiting for the results).
  2. Get him a baby budgie buddy.
  3. Try to make a threesome work.
I'm unsure about the third option, TBH. Aurelius rules the roost over Winston, is huge & has been spoiled. Marzipan & Pistachio are very bonded at this point (they feed each other). Marigold & Frosting already rejected Cloud & Moss when they were younger. Both are also fully flighted with strong personalities & are in a teenage budgie phase. They don't back down from anyone. Frosting visited my older rabbit the other day. She looked like, 'Oh, a new friend!', as he saucily climbed her pen.

I'm leaning towards option 1. I don't think it's fair that he have no budgie to go to bed with at such a young age. It's not like he lost his friend as an established adult budgie.

What are your thoughts?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m waiting for the histopathology results, not this poll. I also have to see if they’d split him from his unsuitable, dinky cage & sell separately.

I hope he’s still available when they come in, but it’d be irresponsible to involve yet another budgie in a potentially dangerous disease.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Definitely Kijiji. I see at least 4 male budgies available right now, and even if you will have to wait a while, there are always budgies for rehoming. If your don't see any, expand your search to include the whole Gatineau area, there are always a bunch.

Do your pairs each have their own cage?

I know Cloud and Moss were recent additions and I seem to recall they were not quarantined (correct me if I'm wrong). Will you quarantine the new budgie? If so, Cloud will have to be alone at least temporarily. Assuming you will be mostly at home for the rest of January due to the recent Covid restrictions (?), can you let Cloud spend more time with you so as to be less lonely?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The one I was looking at was suddenly reduced to free, so is gone.

Yes, every pair has their own flight cage.

I’m not making any decisions ‘till I have the postmortem results.

The single budgies up as of yesterday evening are all from pandemic backyard budgie breeders. I don’t want to encourage them.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Ah, got it. Curious as to how you can tell who are the pandemic budgie breeders? I find most Kijiji listings have so little info, it's hard to tell. Moreso when it's obviously not written in someone's 1st language I assume selling cage = not breeder, but beyond that, it's a toss up.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not really. Especially if you follow the listings semi-regularly.

There are telltale signs, but I’d need to dissect several people’s ads & listings to show you. That would be mean. So I’m not going to.

I can’t post in the emergency forum, but shortly after admonishing people to keep their pets out of chocolate, etc. the emergencies said they’d accept “true emergencies”. Not sure if a conure who might have swallowed something would count. The Lola Street location sees birds. Hopefully he’s better by now!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Moss' test results came back. Not Detected (Negative) for Aves polyomavirus PCR, Beak and feather disease PCR & Psittacid herpesvirus PCR.

I was blacking out sensitive info on the PDF that came with them to post it, but it states at the bottom that you can't send it except to the intended recipients & it can only be sent in full (I'm not putting my contact info on the internet).

I'm not sure what to think. Cloud is lonely, but this was a very stressful experience. Now I'm stuck in a moral dilemna. I'll update Moss' thread in the Highway to Heaven too.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
How tame is Cloud? Personally, I would work on bonding with him while he is a baby, if he isn't absolutely terrified of you. You have time. He presumably has the sounds of your other budgies to comfort him and make him feel safe.

I don't at all regret bonding with Merlin for several months before getting Percy. I don't think Percy would be as tame as he is if I hadn't spent every moment of free time building trust with Merlin first. If you already know it won't be forever-- if isn't causing conflicts in your flock right now, I wouldn't rush.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's comfortable unless hands go near him, but he doesn't freak out like Winston (& now Aurelius).

I didn't realize that @Lady Jane That is very good to know!

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I would probably get him a new friend. He's used to having a budgie companion, so I bet it's been hard on him being all alone.
As for the age of the new budgie, I'm thinking maybe a young one might be better. That way they have the same energy levels. An older bird might be overwhelmed by a younger budgie.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad he does not have a serious disease.

Goo d Luck finding him a suitable companion.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I picked up his ashes this morning. They do a nice job at this pet crematorium & at the vet's. I didn't know they'd be taking an imprint of his tiny budgie feet. It's a nice touch.

I'll probably wait 'till they get more budgies in at the small pet shop. There were two this morning, but they're clearly friends.

Moss Memorial 1.jpg

Moss Memorial 2.jpg