• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A friend asked me

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
A friend asked me about nesting boxes and so I’m not talking out of inexperience I want to know answer him properly.

what is better cardboard or wood and why? Their bird is laying eggs and they want to know if they should move the eggs from their current container (a glass bowl) to one of those?

yes the eggs are fertile and yes they have found future homes if the eggs hatch and survive

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Don't take my word for this, but I feel like wood is better. Cardboard would get mouldy and soggy with the mess from the birds inside. Hope somebody else can give some insight.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I personally prefer the wood style but they want other opinions.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A cardboard nestbox??

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I've never seen cardboard nest boxes, but I have no breeding experience, and based on the questions it sounds like your inexperienced friend needs more than advice about nest boxes,

Perhaps they should find an experienced mentor to help navigate their undertaking, but @BrianB will be able to answer the nest box question.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cardboard is a bad choice. It get moldy and disintegrates when wet. Who knows what it might be made with or what the glue binder might be. Not a good idea at all.

Artchic528

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Beth
Only wood. You can buy a pretty decent wood nesting box online.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I’ve purchased a wooden box for them and they’ve made the switch over. They’re new to the bird thing but are overly shy about asking questions online. I have loaned them some books and directed them to specific websites and they’re asking their vet questions.