• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A few Linnie-related questions...

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
I'll just jump right in with the few questions that I have at this time. :D

1) I believe someone on this forum once told me that a Linnie shouldn't be kept alone. Has that been found to be absolute truth? Does a single Linnie do poorly if it doesn't have a cagemate (and if its owners work during the day)?

2) Do Linnies tend to get louder if caged together, or is it more common for them to get louder if in the same house but not caged together? (I saw a video of one calling to another that was in a separate cage; the back-'n-forth calls got a bit monotonous.)

3) What do you view as the pros and cons of living with a Linnie (or multiple Linnies)?

Thank you,

DS

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
Update to my OP: Everyone can ignore my questions # 1 and #3; I quickly discovered at least two other threads that go into detail on these issues. Of course, if you think of a pro/con that wasn't mentioned in the other thread, feel free to share it here. :D

Thank you,

DS

Last edited:

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
I have 2 linnies, together they are really quiet....however if one goes and investigates and the other loses sight the calls will start and in that case I just take the one on "walk about" back and they are quiet again however mine do not go far from each other. and when I say "walk about" its kinda like one just goes off and don't tell the other as some times they do their own things and it is fine no noise but if 1 gets excited, nervous, scared, boom the noise goes until the other is found.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
I have 2 linnies, together they are really quiet....however if one goes and investigates and the other loses sight the calls will start and in that case I just take the one on "walk about" back and they are quiet again however mine do not go far from each other. and when I say "walk about" its kinda like one just goes off and don't tell the other as some times they do their own things and it is fine no noise but if 1 gets excited, nervous, scared, boom the noise goes until the other is found.
Goes on a walkabout.... I love it. :D

I already know that long-term contact calls would drive my husband a bit bonkers, as he used to feel frustrated by our two birds when they'd call to us whenever we left the room. I'm trying to devise a compromise between a bird species that's not horrendously loud, as a rule of thumb, and one that isn't totally silent (i.e., sick or dead). Okay, so that last statement is at least partly facetious, but you get what I mean.

In all seriousness, I'm on the hunt for a bird species likely to thaw my hubby's heart--which currently is chilly after some expensive, long-term vet care required for previous pets. (He's in a "no-more-pets-ever" mode; I'm working to soften his stance, as I can't see myself going the next 25+ years without pets.)

Linnies seem like a good prospect, in that they've absolutely adorable faces and seem sweet, overall. (Who couldn't fall in love with those doe eyes?) That said, I was disappointed to learn recently that they tend to shy away from human contact--or at least hands--once they reach adulthood. :(

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't know, I don't think you can go wrong with Linnies, like you said, the eyes say it all...that and the little spots on their back ends!;) I would keep them in pairs though, they tend to be quieter that way. They may be hand shy but they are so fun to watch play and they will come and sit with you even if they are hand shy. If you work with them (clicker training), you can probably get them over that hand shyness. They are very social little things and love to be with you but may not want to be touched by you. If you can get over that hump, I think they're wonderful!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies are like cotton candy. The above poster Jen has 10 of them I think. The only time my Linnies were loud was when the TV was on. Even then it was not all that loud. If you have a bonded pair and put them in separate cages they will call to each other in loud terms. Not so if together in one cage. They have much more fun when with other Linnies rather than alone. Avian vet services are expensive no matter what size the birds are. These vets have more knowledge of avian medicine than regular vets. They earn their money well.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
...I don't think you can go wrong with Linnies, like you said, the eyes say it all.... I would keep them in pairs though, they tend to be quieter that way.
I've not ruled them out; they are one of a few bird species that my husband could tolerate, noise-wise, IMO. (I'm rather noise-sensitive, too, but he gets more grumpy about loud bird calls.)

Can two male Linnies be paired, or do males tend to fight (or at least squabble)? I have an aversion to female birds namely due to their potential for chronic egg laying.

They may be hand shy but they are so fun to watch play and they will come and sit with you even if they are hand shy. If you work with them (clicker training), you can probably get them over that hand shyness. They are very social little things and love to be with you but may not want to be touched by you. If you can get over that hump, I think they're wonderful!
They sound like Bourke's, with regard to having an interest in being near their people but not necessarily touched by them. (Do yours at least like to sit on your shoulder for a length of time, or not so much?)

We're going to a bird fair tomorrow to meet-'n-greet with semi-local breeders. I look forward to visiting with the various species, especially Linnies, 'tiels, Bourke's, etc. Some larger species should be present; I look forward to visiting with them, as well.

Last edited:

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
They have much more fun when with other Linnies rather than alone.
Of that fact, I have no doubt. :D

Avian vet services are expensive no matter what size the birds are. These vets have more knowledge of avian medicine than regular vets. They earn their money well.
I wasn't implying that I'd consider only one Linnie due to vet expenses.

I've used avian vets' services for my former, interspersed flock. I also spent a literal fortune on exotics vet services for our former rabbits, all of whom had intense health issues; so, unfortunately, I'm well aware of the expense of exotics-/avian-savvy vets. Boo. :(

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
Goes on a walkabout.... I love it. :D

I already know that long-term contact calls would drive my husband a bit bonkers, as he used to feel frustrated by our two birds when they'd call to us whenever we left the room. I'm trying to devise a compromise between a bird species that's not horrendously loud, as a rule of thumb, and one that isn't totally silent (i.e., sick or dead). Okay, so that last statement is at least partly facetious, but you get what I mean.

In all seriousness, I'm on the hunt for a bird species likely to thaw my hubby's heart--which currently is chilly after some expensive, long-term vet care required for previous pets. (He's in a "no-more-pets-ever" mode; I'm working to soften his stance, as I can't see myself going the next 25+ years without pets.)

Linnies seem like a good prospect, in that they've absolutely adorable faces and seem sweet, overall. (Who couldn't fall in love with those doe eyes?) That said, I was disappointed to learn recently that they tend to shy away from human contact--or at least hands--once they reach adulthood. :(

My linnies are not hand shy, however they don't like to be petted. Emme and Skye are now 10 months old, so still young lol but they definitely have their own adorable personalities! They both love to climb and can run pretty quick( as they like to walk vs. fly). They are my little adventurers! I let them out to run around and when someone comes over I always tell them to watch their step when they come into the room with the birds in it because you wouldn't even know they were there (stealthy little ninjas) because I don't normally hear them and as they don't fly around it would be very easy for someone to step on them while they are running around.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've not ruled them out; they are one of a few bird species that my husband could tolerate, noise-wise, IMO. (I'm rather noise-sensitive, too, but he gets more grumpy about loud bird calls.)

Can two male Linnies be paired, or do males tend to fight (or at least squabble)? I have an aversion to female birds namely due to their potential for chronic egg laying.

They sound like Bourke's, with regard to having an interest in being near their people but not necessarily touched by them. (Do yours at least like to sit on your shoulder for a length of time, or not so much?)

We're going to a bird fair tomorrow to meet-'n-greet with semi-local breeders. I look forward to visiting with the various species, especially Linnies, 'tiels, Bourke's, etc. Some larger species should be present; I look forward to visiting with them, as well.
My female Sophie (the middle yellow one in my avatar) loves to come and sit on my shoulder or my head or even my arms. She's our biggest social butterfly, but they are mostly all interested in us. I'm a big promoter of leaving birds fully flighted so when we got ours, we were really adamant about the breeders leaving them fully flighted, so they tend to fly a little more than they walk, but they will walk around too and they love to burrow into things too.

I think they will bond with either sex, so I don't think it would matter if you went with two males or two females. I think the biggest point is that you want two. I've also heard that you don't want three!:) Make sure you get groups of two or they will squabble because they pair up. We ended up with five the first time around...they all grew up from the moment they were taken from their parents and that worked but I have heard that three doesn't work well.

I honestly cannot say enough wonderful things about these birds. They really are wonderful. They tend to be more on the quiet side and the way they play is just the cutest. Mine are really active and I could sit and watch them forever. These guys would be great in a retirement home. I just love them. It is a shame that they tend not to want to be cuddly but I do know people who have cuddly ones. I think if you're willing to work with them they can get over that. We just let ours do as they please.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I forgot to mention that one of the other things that's really, really cute about them is that they cuddle with each other...OMG! SO CUTE! And they seem food motivated! Whenever we eat and they are out, they will come and perch on the side of our plate and beg for food!:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree two males would be fine together.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
My female Sophie (the middle yellow one in my avatar) loves to come and sit on my shoulder or my head or even my arms. She's our biggest social butterfly, but they are mostly all interested in us.
That's exactly how my parents' male Bourke's, Andy, was: extremely curious in us humans, often landing on/near us to be a part of the action. But they--there was a more timid female, Rosie--didn't care to be touched. (If I recall, I may have gotten away with touching Andy's face/head a bit, but he'd pull back and/or fly away shortly thereafter.)

I'm a big promoter of leaving birds fully flighted so when we got ours, we were really adamant about the breeders leaving them fully flighted, so they tend to fly a little more than they walk, but they will walk around too and they love to burrow into things too.
From what I've read, Linnies' body type make them less balanced, even with minimally-clipped wings; so it does sound like they're better off being fully flighted.

Question: Do you find that your crew is less apt to listen (or come) to you, due to being fully flighted?

Make sure you get groups of two or they will squabble because they pair up.
That is great info. to have; I've seen YouTube videos showing caged trios, which I'm guessing are a bit deceptive--i.e., they show three Linnies getting along in the moment, while not revealing their squabbles.

I honestly cannot say enough wonderful things about these birds.... They tend to be more on the quiet side and the way they play is just the cutest. Mine are really active and I could sit and watch them forever. These guys would be great in a retirement home. I just love them. It is a shame that they tend not to want to be cuddly but I do know people who have cuddly ones. I think if you're willing to work with them they can get over that. We just let ours do as they please.
I've been wanting a more hands-on (cuddly) bird, but every species that is known for such behavior would be a bit too jarring for my husband's love of quiet--think GCC, one of my dream birds. (I/We have lived with several bird species but never a conure.)

The Linnie, although a more hands-off species, does sound like a good fit, seeing as I adored my parents' Bourke's, especially Andy. (Gawd, was that lil' guy intelligent, inquisitive and downright sweet.)

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
I agree two males would be fine together.
That is excellent news! (Due to my mom's stressful experience with a chronic egg-laying Bourke's, I shy away from females of smaller bird species.)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I don't blame you.