• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A few general questions regarding my cockatiel?

EricaNF

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Erica
So we recently got our first bird a cute cockatiel named Coco from Petco. We wouldnt have bought from petco if we knew more about birds but whats done is done but I have a ton of questions and any answers would be appreciated!!

1. So Coco has been pretty lonely. My boyfriend and I have been working nights and still spend time with her during the day but she's a very very affectionate bird and honestly wants to sit on our shoulders and try to give us kisses and cuddles 24/7. So we really want to get her a friend so she doesnt miss us as much! We want a cockatiel but we want to be able to get a baby this time as Coco is very young and we are having trouble finding a baby near where we live. Bigger birds have always interested us but I don't think they would get along with coco. What birds would get along with a very friendly docile cockatiel, if they weren't housed together in the same cage but were just in the same room for company. I know Parakeets could but we don't really want a parakeet so Are there any other birds that would most likely get along with her and just give good company from another cage or should we just continue looking for a cockatiel? If we got a cockatiel, we would hopefully be want to cage them together in the future but thats up to whether they become friends but I know this wouldnt be possible with another bird species so basically what birds would be good company for her from afar, if any?
  2. How likely is it that Petco lied when we asked about her age? When we asked for her gender, they said she is too young to know and we wont know till her adult coat comes in.. but this is the same guy who forcefully grabbed her mid panic flight to get her for us. Should we take his word for it? What are some ways to know?
  3. We think she is a girl because a few months after we got her she started leaning forward and making a sound like a squeaky wheel. We looked this up and they said this is female mating behavior but she still has a good bit of yellow on her head and he appearance hasn't turned more grey since we got her at all. Any thoughts on this?
  4. Does anyone know of a good place to get a baby cockatiel near Bowling Green, KY? Hoping to not have to drive more than an hour and a half one way.
  5. Same questions but for a good vet?

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Would your birds have out of cage time together?

A canary might be a cheerful companion for Coco if you are not planning on letting them interact directly.

If you are planning to let them interact steer clear of lovebirds or parrotlets.

Can I ask why you are against budgies? My budgies and tiel coexist quite harmoniously with only normal bickering.

EricaNF

Real Name
Erica
Would your birds have out of cage time together?

A canary might be a cheerful companion for Coco if you are not planning on letting them interact directly.

If you are planning to let them interact steer clear of lovebirds or parrotlets.

Can I ask why you are against budgies? My budgies and tiel coexist quite harmoniously with only normal bickering.
I'm actually just kinda wanting a larger bird tbh like at least the size of a cockatiel. But I still love budgies and think they are sooo cute :) I havent thought of a canary but that might be a good idea so she has someone to talk to! I'm just having a lot of trouble finding young/baby cockatiels near me unfortunatley. Lots of Macaws but I dont think I'm ready for that lol.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
A cockatiel is kind of unique in size and because they are more laid back something smaller is ideal.

A happy male canary would keep her company singing all day :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bear in mind that a larger bird will have a correspondingly larger beak size. This will make it much more difficult for the birds to share out of cage time - even a nip from a larger bird could severely injure your tiel. Keeping birds of different sizes is not impossible, but needs a lot of thought, space and time to ensure that all birds get enough attention and out of cage time, and to reduce the risk of injury.

Another cockatiel will share body language and ways of communication with Coco. I think a companion of the same species will offer the best companionship.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :bounce3:

I'm SO GLAD your cockatiel is such a sweetheart!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Also when considering friends for your Tiel remember that Tiel's are a dusty bird.

So you might want to consider another dusty bird. It would prevent any potential lung issues a non-dusty bird may have being around your Tiel.

EricaNF

Real Name
Erica
Bear in mind that a larger bird will have a correspondingly larger beak size. This will make it much more difficult for the birds to share out of cage time - even a nip from a larger bird could severely injure your tiel. Keeping birds of different sizes is not impossible, but needs a lot of thought, space and time to ensure that all birds get enough attention and out of cage time, and to reduce the risk of injury.

Another cockatiel will share body language and ways of communication with Coco. I think a companion of the same species will offer the best companionship.
Yeah I think we are gonna go the route of another cockatiel. It would be really nice for her to have a member of the same species. It makes me so sad whenever she hears videos of them because she starts looking around the room for it

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. The best companion for a tiel is another tiel. But a budgie or bourke could also work with separate cages. Even another cockatiel may want to live in its own cage and at least initially should be put in a separate cage. (You should always quarantine any new bird.) Are there any rescues near you? Usually rescues have a lot of tiels looking for good homes.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Here is a pic of one of my budgies with my tiel in case you might change your mind. They are both singing and watching the lowering sun. My tiel loves having a feathered friend but still loves cuddling up to me as well :heart: 20220108_183110.jpg