• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A ferret warning

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
a few days ago, I lost my first bird. She was just a year and a half old. Her name was blackbird, and was a female cockatiel. The reason this is in this section is the circumstances of her death.

I have four ferrets. They have their own room, which my birds were never allowed in, and the ferrets were never allowed out. Three of my ferrets, rikki, tiki, and tavi, were old and very docile. They never bit, and were completely nonaggressive. The fourth, Elliott, was very aggressive. He would run up and bite toes, hands, etc. I didn't understand how aggressive until a few days ago. The ferrets were in their cage, so my fiancé left the ferret room door open. Blackbird was out and about.

Elliot managed to get out. By the time we realized, he was trying to get in our other bird's cage. We found blackbird on the floor, Elliott had killed her. I would describe how he killed her, but it is very graphic to explain even in the simplest, least descriptive words.

Even though they were never in the same room, Elliott found her and killed her. Please be careful.

Elliott, the ferret, was never yelled at. He wasn't punished in any way. However, he is being rehoming for my peace of mind. He isn't being abandoned at a rescue, but given to a good home. Until then, the ferret room door remains closed.

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Im sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss.

Laced

Strolling the yard
:sad2: I'm sorry :sadhug:
Thank you for posting tho! good reminder that no matter how much we love our pets sometimes they cant fight their basic instinct

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so sorry for your tragic loss! :(

Shandon Boyle

Moving in
Real Name
Shandon
I'm sorry for your loss...

It really is the sort of thing that should be frequently reminded of. Thank you for reminding us, Holli.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
*hugs*

I have large constricting snakes...my worst nightmare is somehow they get a hold of Jacko.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I would feel the same way towards any pet who killed another and probably rehome them too.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I am so sorry love. I have dogs, and although they are kept locked anytime the birds are out, my biggest fear is that somehow they will get to them. I've told myself for the longest time that once my dogs pass away (all of them except one is over the age of 7) that I will not have dogs in the house again. I have two dogs that I believe would get to them if possible, and I pray that chance will never be given, but that doesn't mean I don't think about it. I hate what happened, and I'm sure I would do the same thing. I love snakes, and that reason is why I'm scared to bring one into our home, with them having the ability to get into their cages. Hugs sweetie :sadhug2:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm so, so sorry for your loss...not only of your loss of Blackbird but also of your loss of Elliot. What a horrible thing to go through. My thoughts are with you...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I’m so sorry for your loss. :sorrow:I know you are going through a hard time without 2 of your companions. My heart goes out to you and your family. :sadhug:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm so sorry this happened. Blessings my friend...

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I’m so sorry for your loss. :sorrow:I know you are going through a hard time without 2 of your companions. My heart goes out to you and your family. :sadhug:
It’s okay aqua, this is my first post from 2 years ago, when I lost black bird, the tiel in my description. I still have Dexter <3 I was thinking about her and missed her.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh Machelle, I hadn’t realised this is how you lost Blackbird, I’m so sorry you had to deal with that horror and sadness.

Loosing Blackbird and having to rehome Elliot is such a horrible thing to go through.

Gee wiz you’ve certainly been through a fair bit of heartache and hurt in the last few years! :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Oh Machelle, I hadn’t realised this is how you lost Blackbird, I’m so sorry you had to deal with that horror and sadness.

Loosing Blackbird and having to rehome Elliot is such a horrible thing to go through.

Gee wiz you’ve certainly been through a fair bit of heartache and hurt in the last few years! :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:
:sadhug2:I ended up having to rehome all my animals, except for dex of course, about a month later. Mice I hand raised, Betta fish, and the other three ferrets. They all got loving homes with people I knew and trusted. It sent me into a 2 year bout with severe depression that I was just recovering from when I went to live with my dad. My adult life has been tough so far.

I got 5000 dollars as a graduation gift. I bought Dexter with that money, and while I won’t dare say I knew what I was doing or was any sort of prepared, I’m lucky I spent that money on Dex. He has saved me more times than I’d care to admit. I had a friend tell me they thought I’d kill myself after losing Blackbird because I was so heartbroken. I’d sob into the night, to the point that people in the house thought my mother had died. :sad1:

I also want to say thank you to everyone. My first posts here were all mistakes. Stupid mistakes that illustrated me as exactly as I was, an 18 year old with no idea what she was doing, despite the classes under my belt that I thought made me prepared. But I know now that it isn’t about what you already know or being perfect on AA. It’s about a willingness to learn, to make an effort to give my bird the best life I can. I like to think i have shown I can do just that :angelic:

Of course, the obligatory :AArocks:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I’m so sorry you lost Blackbird like that. :sadhug2::sorrow:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award