• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A female Canary chases another female nonstop

Piccione

Sitting on the front steps
Hello there, I recently bought a new canary for my flock.

I have already 3 canaries that go along pretty well. Let’s call them Yellow (male), White (male), Grey (female) and Red (female) to make things easier.

Yellow, White and Grey are fine together and they are from all different breeders.

Red is the new addition to our flock and she was doing pretty good in her own cage quarantining.

I saw she was fine, singing, hopping around and apparently free from mites or external parasites so I decided to let the other birds meet her for the first time. The two males were absolutely chill with Red, but Grey… oh man. Grey chased Red away from everything, everywhere.

To give an idea of the aviary set up, they have 3 external seed trays, 1 metal dish for egg food, one big leaf of dandelion, half millet spray, a bunch of green grass seeds hanged on the cage and two drinking spots, one in the plastic tube and a bigger one in a metal dish hanged from the cage. Cuttlefish bone and grit are available too and an external bath is put out of their cage daily. I have 4 small perches made of wood and one thin perch that crosses the cage horizontally made of wood, a little swing and toys.

But they met in the “playing ground” that is a closed room in the house (living room) with windows. There, I put out an old plant hanger as a perch for them to fly to and from the cage. They weren’t in a small, confined space.

Any ideas on why Grey pecks and chases Red so much?
Usually is a lack of food but I don’t think that’s the case.
I don’t think it’s a lack of space as they met outside their cages in a “neutral” ground
I’m sure that Red is a female cause she is a red mosaic so it wouldn’t be two males fighting either.

I really have no clue how to behave with Red and Grey. Red seems to be afraid of going out of her cage as she knows Grey is waiting for her to chase her.

For now it was just chasing and flying around the house but I don’t think they were playing as Grey opens beak and wings before attacking her.

any ideas are welcome.
Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Please show us a picture of the Red Mosaic, the male/female red mosaics look different to each other. Female Canaries generally don't sing, and my female red mosaic doesn't sing, she only squeaks occasionally.