• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A&E double wide flight cage for my canary - gap issue?

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm planning to buy a double wide flight cage for my canary. He's currently in a single flight cage, but I want him to have more length for flight. I've been reading reviews, and many people mention that the gap between the cages (when the divider isn't used, which it won't be in my case), is really wide. Wide enough for a canary head to get stuck in. Does anyone here have one of these cages? Do you have a problem with the gap? If so, have you found a way to fix the problem? TIA

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't have the cage, but maybe you could cover the hole with strips of carboard or welded mesh?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You could contact the manufacturer and ask what exact size the spacing is between those two bars.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I don't have that specific cage, but I do have a cage that has a dangerous gap. I cut dowel rods to length and wedged them in the gaps, and haven't had any issues. There are plenty of sizes of dowel rods (round or square) that would probably work just fine, and most big box home improvement stores would cut them to length for you if you weren't able to do it yourself.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I don't have that specific cage, but I do have a cage that has a dangerous gap. I cut dowel rods to length and wedged them in the gaps, and haven't had any issues. There are plenty of sizes of dowel rods (round or square) that would probably work just fine, and most big box home improvement stores would cut them to length for you if you weren't able to do it yourself.
Great idea - thank you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don't have that one but I zip-tie cardboard over holes like that. Canaries and finches don't bother cardboard.