• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A dreaded question

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I have two budgies. I’m very worried about the larger of the two because if my guess is right… he isn’t long for this world. I’ve already scheduled a vet consult, but still….

how long do budgies live?

I am aware English budgies only live 8 years at best, but in general, well cared for budgies…. I know there is an American type and an Australian type. My Sadie is closer to the English type. And Sunny is a standard or American/Australian type.

Just in case I’m wrong I want to be prepared for that in best or worse case scenarios.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
How old are they now ?
I don’t know how old my Henry was when I got him from pet shop but he lived 7years with me until he died was 8years ago now and he was on a seed only diet and greens lettuce leaves I didn’t know much then maybe he would have lived a bit longer

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Sadie is the English mix. And Sunny is standard.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
This thread has a lot of members' experiences.
There is so many factors that play into lifespan that no one can give a definite answer.
My eldest budgie was about 8-9 when he passed, he was a Australian budgie but possibly had some English in him.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Well now I feel scared too...my budgies came as adults and ive had them 7 years I think...

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is your English Budgie sick? Or is this just the annual well visit?

I have two male budgies who turned 6 this fall. One of them seems to have liver disease even though his bloodwork is normal. My vet told me that due to all the in-breeding of budgies as well as breeding them for the fancy colors, their lifespans are shorter than they were when first introduced into aviculture in the U.S. They live from 6 to 10 years on average (think statistics). Now...that doesn't mean that individuals can live from 15 to 20 years.

One of the extremely unfortunate side effects of all this in-breeding, etc., is that many budgies are little tumor factories.

I did not know any of this prior to getting Jelly and Juju at a big box pet store. I wish I had. I would not have purchased them, I believe. But I love them to bits, and I'm going to do absolutely everything in my power to make sure they have the best possible life I can give them.

Let us know how your vet visit goes!

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
@Kassiani its the annual visit which is why they declined a new appointment. It’s a couple weeks off.

as for my birds original health. Their original owner tried, unlike so many others I have met. However, Sadie has a growth of fat on his chest that left me sick and was primarily at the fault of an all seed diet supported with carrot, greens such as lettuce, and a little fruit. While that’s not bad, it’s not really healthy either. I’ve learned just how good a well balanced diet is.

My guess is, Sadie is at the end of his life. I hope he makes it to the vet appointment. But it’s gonna be one of those years. This is the thing about adopting senior pets…. They pass faster than others. I’m looking at what to do for Sunny after the fact as well. And how he might handle it. I know some overly attached bonded pairs can commit themselves to dying once a partner passes.

I have so many worries. This will be first pair death so maybe my anxiety about it is feeding into it.

As for what’s leading into it, my experience with older pets. My dogs and several chickens would behave like this before passing. Little to no eating, sleeping for hours on end, avoiding interactions with other pets or no playing.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
They can but I tend to think of those as exceptions to the common rule of thumb. My rott lived to be 18.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
They can but I tend to think of those as exceptions to the common rule of thumb. My rott lived to be 18.
I dont see them as exceptions, they just happen to have good genetic, and good care.
All budgies had the potential to live that long but we as humans have mess with them too much and our knowledge of care is still evolving.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I just read about a budgie who made it to 22, nearly 23. I think I hear of budgies living to older ages here in Aus than what I seem to hear of coming from the US- I guess that breeding practices and genetics may have had a lot to do with the young ages of passing for many budgies. Some others were 17, 16, 14 and so on. I really do think genetics has a big part to play in birds who are fed a good variety of foods and are well cared for and still pass young.
Bush budgies seem to be the ones I generally hear of living the longest.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
So glad Sadie is feeling better. I was reluctant to reply to this thread as I was at a loss as to what to say. I've been around for many of these posts and they never get easier. I can quote statistics but in the end budgies (both English and Australian) have a genetic code when they are born. Some beat the odds, others don't. I'm just relieved that Sadie is recuperating. Please let us know how she is doing.